An interesting fact

knotzen

Years ago, when I was a vegetarian, I discovered that Hostess chocolate-covered donuts contain beef fat (lard).

I just bought some from the vending machine at work (hey, it's not my fault--the cafeteria wasn't open yet!), and they still contain beef fat.

Weird. With all the vegetarians, vegans, Hindus, and beefaphobics in American society, you'd think by now they would be using some other fat source. wazzup.gif

Or maybe they count on peeps not reading the label.

Edited by knotzen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No leather for you, eh?

Bait! grin.giffruit.gif

I changed my mind on vegetarianism, so now I eat and wear animal parts. snaf.gif

My point was that Hostess is missing out on some potential market share because they use lard in their donettes. And, it just seems weird to have animal parts in a "pastry," you know? I don't think lard is used much these days, in mainstream America.

I don't think lard is used much these days, in mainstream America.

Most mexican restaraunts make wide use of lard. Not sure why it's such a big deal - butter makes everything better!

Yeah, I see it in the Hispanic food section of supermarkets.

Wonder which has more saturated fat--lard or butter? I bet Google knows!

Most mexican restaraunts make wide use of lard. Not sure why it's such a big deal - butter makes everything better!

There was recently a report in the Vancouver Sun that the Indo-Canadian population in the Lower Mainland has a signifcantly higher percentage of diabetics than the rest of the population. The cause is thought to be high levels of butter and sugar in their diets.

There was recently a report in the Vancouver Sun that the Indo-Canadian population in the Lower Mainland has a signifcantly higher percentage of diabetics than the rest of the population. The cause is thought to be high levels of butter and sugar in their diets.

"The CDA says the vast majority of people have type 2 diabetes which most get because of lack of exercise and being overweight from diets containing too much fat and sugar."

In other news, fat people have health problems rolleyes.gif

Diets high in vegetables, whole grains and liquid vegetable oils are the healthiest. Plus you get shampoo ad hair!

Speaking of which palm kernel oil and cottonseed oil are so suck (agribusiness) so the good options are canola, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sunflower etc... Olive oil would suck for making desserts with.

...My point was that Hostess is missing out on some potential market share because they use lard in their donettes...

confused.gif

So you're thinking that if Hostess didn't use beef fat, they'd have a flock of vegans beating down their warehouse doors going for their choco-covered cakes 'o health?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnope. Don't think that demographic is really on the snack cake radar. I think you're an anomaly.