Via Ferrata in Utah

kurthicks

Here is comes...

http://www2.standard.net/standard/news/61559/

European-style climbing course making 'iron way' to Ogden

Thursday, September 8, 2005

By John Wright

Standard-Examiner staff

OGDEN -- A rock-climbing attraction under construction in Waterfall Canyon would be one of the first of its kind in the U.S., according to a local climbing expert.

The via ferrata, or "iron way," consists of metal rungs and cables attached to rock faces. Wearing harnesses that are attached to the cables, people will be able to climb the rock faces using the rungs.

The courses are popular in the Alps, but there are only a handful in the U.S., according to climbing expert and Ogden native Jeff Lowe, who is helpingconstruct the via ferrata.

Via ferrata courses were first used in the 1920s or 1930s as a way for people to access remote huts in the Alps, Lowe said.

They later were used by troops in World War II to traverse high mountain terrain.

"Then they started to just do this for fun, to establish trails in some pretty exciting places," Lowe said. "It's kind of like the most basic, easy form of mountaineering, the safest form of mountaineering and climbing. ... It's like a ladder."

Lowe said he is helping build the via ferrata for landowner Chris Peterson. Peterson could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

He said one 450-foot-long via ferrata course, which gains 350 feet in elevation, is complete near the waterfall in the canyon, but it will not be open to the public until more testing is done. Two more courses are planned for construction this fall.

In his many years of rock climbing and ice climbing around the world, Lowe said, via ferrata courses had never interested him. But then he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

"It's really restricted my mobility, so it's a little bit more meaningful to me," he said. "I start to see the benefit to people who are not hard-core climbers, who are somehow limited in what they can do."

Lowe said the goal is for people to be able to use the via ferrata at no charge. However, they will have to pay for an instructor to show them how to use it their first time.

The via ferrata will be part of a climbing park that already includes traditional rock climbing and may eventually include ice climbing, Lowe said. The plan is to divert some water from Malan's Basin over north-facing rock to the west of Malan's Falls.

"The park, when it's done, should have climbing of all sorts available," Lowe said.

He said he may manage the park under his nonprofit group, Ogden's Hollowgraphic Ice Tower. He created the group when he brought an ice tower he designed for the X-Games to Ogden earlier this year.

Lowe tentatively plans to erect the tower in Big Dee Sports Park.

---

thumbs_down.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his many years of rock climbing and ice climbing around the world, Lowe said, via ferrata courses had never interested him. But then he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

"It's really restricted my mobility, so it's a little bit more meaningful to me," he said. "I start to see the benefit to people who are not hard-core climbers, who are somehow limited in what they can do."

You know, that is precisely the consideration that makes me in favor of building that gondola up the Squamish Chief. rolleyes.gif

The occasional bolt on a sport route.....

Dude. DUDE! Don't use that word....."the Man" is doing string searches for that word. We write "b_lts" when we want to discuss the topic. And to answer your question, I don't see an enormous difference.

40414blt-rash-med.gif

from one of ScottP's websites, oh damn, stop the plague...

>Suddenly, you are out there, alone, halfway up an overhang, tethered to a >well constructed safety system, in the middle of a 200 foot cliff. You are up >where the "real climbers go". This is sport climbing. This is Via Ferrata!

Everything equals nothing. As the world turns and we all adapt to our personal spheres, that which we know, slowly morphs into that which we are unfamiliar. We, as an army of one, strive to mold our ideals on an ever changing state. The new replace the old and we can only savor our values in memories of the past. A past that is fast becoming irrelevent in the process of today.

Adapt or die embittered.

Just got this developed from last spring.

RUMR, MattP, and Snugtop kicking some butt!!

C-Via%20Ferata%20G%E9rard.jpg

yellaf.gif RuMR's gotten taller, too!

Has anyone ever actually been ON one of these things?

Gotta admit, this looks pretty fun!

Via_Ferrata1.jpg

Let's do a poll!

Depending on your place in the climbing arena, would you like to try a via ferrata?