Condition's at Convention Center

alipneH

Many folks did not choose to not leave, they did not have a means to leave, or no where to go. There are many reasons why people are still there. Yes, some folks who could have left, should have. But there are many people who just couldn't.

And if they walked 8 miles, where would they go? Plus if they are 80, or if they have 3 kids.

Life is great and simple when you are in an armchair watching.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can move on now, nothing to see here. smile.gifYou do not have to worry now, the media has shifted to how happy all those darkies are now that they are in the Astrodome. I saw it on the Today show this mkorning, Katie was interviewing them and seeing what lucky duckies they as. Matt was giving Hillary a hard time for daring to question our beloved leader. Things are back to normal. hellno3d.gif

Edited by Mal_Con

Remember, these people were ordered to leave. They chose not to leave.

Your compassion overwhelms. Are you including the gang-raped 5 year old in your blanket statements?

Huh? People who want help becuase they chose not to leave is hypocritical. Those people who were stranded need to take responsibility for their own lives.

You obviously need to change your signature line.

Your compassion overwhelms. Are you including the gang-raped 5 year old in your blanket statements?

Huh? People who want help becuase they chose not to leave is hypocritical. Those people who were stranded need to take responsibility for their own lives.

By that logic, intentionally putting yourself into a potentially life-threatening situation and then asking for, and accepting help when you get hurt is also hypocritical. Those people who get injured while climbing, therefore, need to take responsibility for their own lives.evils3d.gif

Many folks did not choose to not leave, they did not have a means to leave, or no where to go. There are many reasons why people are still there. Yes, some folks who could have left, should have. But there are many people who just couldn't.

And if they walked 8 miles, where would they go? Plus if they are 80, or if they have 3 kids.

How did the people get to the Superdome? How did the people get to the Convention Center?

By that logic, intentionally putting yourself into a potentially life-threatening situation and then asking for, and accepting help when you get hurt is also hypocritical. Those people who get injured while climbing, therefore, need to take responsibility for their own lives.evils3d.gif

So true you are. In fact I have been rescued. However, it was my responsibility from where I was at. It was my responsibility to get back. I requested a helicopter. It was under no obligation for the government to send one to me. Oh. And I never bitched about it. I also never expected a helicopter. I never expected help. I do not whine. My life is my responsibility.

How did the people get to the Superdome? How did the people get to the Convention Center?

Why don't you do a little fucking research on that instead of making assumptions about people's mobility and then blaming them for wrong-doing?

You set a group of rigid rules ("I is responsible for ME") and then judge the world based on your overly simplistic (and completely tiresome) model of reality. Then you erroneously split hairs when you commit philosophically equivalent lapses in judgement ("the government wasn't OBLIGATED to rescue my sorry ass because I intellectually assured myself that they don't have to save my sorry ass" - See the circularity?). I suppose they could have decided to leave you to die? I don't think so.

You are guilty of making your interpretations based on your hypotheses rather than your data.

Pretty banal statment to make when you're confronted with such a disturbing question, don't you think? What actions entail "taking responsibility for their own lives"... "Looting" grocery stores for food? Because, you know, the President says that behavior will not be tolerated under any circumstances, leading to the logical conclusion that everyone still in the city should wait for outside aid. Or does "taking responsibility for their own lives" entail starving to death rather than "looting" when proper aid does not (which in many cases it hasn't) arrive?

Perhaps you belong over on ass.com, where Trask and Fairweather are busy calling everyone left behind in N.O. a bunch of dumb "niggers".

A little bit of a thread drift, but I heard an economist on NPR this morning saying the "worst-case scenario" didn't materialize with Hurricane Katrina.

Except for the people that escaped the area, how could it have been worse? I also heard today New Orleans had been 90% underwater--would the worst-case scenario be 100% flooding?

So true you are. In fact I have been rescued. However, it was my responsibility from where I was at. It was my responsibility to get back. I requested a helicopter. It was under no obligation for the government to send one to me. Oh. And I never bitched about it. I also never expected a helicopter. I never expected help. I do not whine. My life is my responsibility.

By your own record, you were only waiting for a ride off Temple for 7 hours. If you had been there for a week, expecting help to arrive ("Due to the time (3:30), I knew my partner had to get out for a helicopter for me."), I bet there would have been considerable bitching going on. If you truly never expected help, just how far did you get from the accident site in those 7 hours.

And you know what else is great about this line of thinking? When he believes that he is responsible for his own life, he can conveniently take credit for all he has accomplished. I love it when folks think that way and dismiss lucky little factors like being born a white man in middle class, post industrial America. Oh yeah baby, its all you...

I think stefan has shut up for now.

This is an issue that is beyond superficial discussion at this point. We might as well be debating bolts. Except this has a more devastating and personal outcome.

Live and learn and give of yourself where needed.

Some serious idiots, you make the call:

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart aka: why some needed to be banned

Basically, we have created a situation where a large portion of our population lives in third world conditions and expectations.

a large portion lives in thirld world conditions? Get a fucking grip man. I don't see any Japanese Encephalitis outbreaks in the US. No cholera, malaria, yellow fever either. No favelas in the US. No famines strike our country. That said, conditions in New Orleans are now like the third world.

This is an issue that is beyond superficial discussion at this point. We might as well be debating bolts. Except this has a more devastating and personal outcome.

Which thread are you trying to point to? Thanks.

Not given up. Just gotta lot of work to do. No time to spray. I be back. Good discussion!

By the way, I was willing to crawl out of the Enchantments from my accident. I am still willing to pay for helicopter rescue, but no one has given me a bill. I asked, so I did make an attempt. I guess the military has a lot of paperwork.

You can still see it now in New Orleans. People don't want to leave. Then when things get really bad in their house, they will ask for help. What kind of fucked up shit is that? That is why they are ordering people to leave and actually breaking into houses. Same shit happened to people in the Superdome and Convention Center. People did not want to leave (majority) any way, things got bad, and then they expected help.

I also have two brothers and a cousin on welfare. I saw the same attitudes on television with them. They expect the government to help. They do not take responsibility for their own lives. I still have my opinion.

But good discussion folks!