BD Venom ice axe

rhyang

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it was only a matter of time before BD came out with an answer to the Aztar ... looks like it uses a new style pick, not compatible with the old stuff thumbs_down.gif where's the hammer?

given that it has a normal, not reverse clearance pick it seems this is actually a general mountaineering axe and BD is jumping on the "bent shafts for general mountaineering" trend started by DMM 3 years ago and followed by Grivel.

So it wouldnt be their version of the Aztar but of the Air Tech Evo or whatever the hell Grivel calls theirs.

I figured it was only a matter of time before BD came out with an answer to the Aztar ... looks like it uses a new style pick, not compatible with the old stuff thumbs_down.gif where's the hammer?

given that it has a normal, not reverse clearance pick it seems this is actually a general mountaineering axe and BD is jumping on the "bent shafts for general mountaineering" trend started by DMM 3 years ago and followed by Grivel.

So it wouldnt be their version of the Aztar but of the Air Tech Evo or whatever the hell Grivel calls theirs.

I made my comparison based on the modular pick ... something the Cirque, Cosmi'tec and Air Tech Evo tools do not have.

i don't see that it's modular? in that olypicture it looks like its one piece. does it say modular in the ad copy?

ad write up on BD web-site ... availble in 50,57 and 64 cm

Venom

# Compact and light piolet for

technical mountaineers

• Replaceable Venom Classic Pick

sticks and holds in steep ice

• Curved shaft and dual-density

grip penetrate hard snow well

• Comes with a Lockdown Leash

412080-venom.jpg

Edited by wdietsch

More like an answer to Grivel Air Tech Evo (which now also comes with a hammer), with the added twist of the replaceable pick.

So many axes to pick from these days... And now Petzl had added the Cosmi'tec. Argh. So many choices. Which reminds me I need to get these Quarks for alpine and everything else tongue.gif

drC

Oh yeah, good point can't see that little bolt in Oly picture at all cool.gif

looks like there may actually be two screws and the need for an allen wrench thumbs_down.gif .... one of the things I like most about the x-15, BP, Cobra, etc.. is the single sloted screw ... no need for a wrench in the field

They're a whole heckuva lot lighter than the x-15. I've had my hands on them a couple of times now, and they're a pretty elegant second tool, or even as a primary. I'm not sure if field serviceable picks are an issue with a pick that's not going to see much vertical ice/rock. If used as a workhorse tool, they'll just last that much longer if you can swap the pick out for a new one without worrying about replacing the shaft.

Also, even the standard Air Techs are soon going to have curved shafts.

My 2 cents at least.

for $35 less, fully "T" rated and only an ounce heavier I'd go with the DMM Cirque

76.jpg

personaly if I was to break the pick on a "B" rated general purpose axe I'd probably be tossing the whole thing ... you can pick up something like the BD Raven or Grivel Pamir on sale for around $50 .. the replacement pick for the Venon is $35.00 !!

if the only modular pick they offer is a general purpose shape .. what's the purpose? rolleyes.gif ... perhaps a more aggresive one is in the works

• 1 month later...
i don't see that it's modular? in that olypicture it looks like its one piece. does it say modular in the ad copy?

ad write up on BD web-site ... availble in 50,57 and 64 cm

Venom

# Compact and light piolet for

technical mountaineers

• Replaceable Venom Classic Pick

sticks and holds in steep ice

• Curved shaft and dual-density

grip penetrate hard snow well

• Comes with a Lockdown Leash

412080-venom.jpg

I caressed one of these the other day. Seems like a really nice alpine axe. Light weight, nicely balanced.

• 6 months later...

Doesn't this axe seem to be a mountaineering tool? and if so, when was the last time a pick needed to be changed? Seems like a liability to have the potiential for pick loosening mid pitch. Is this acceptable for a pick changing benefit that will never be needed? Are people using this tool for water ice and drytooling?

Doesn't this axe seem to be a mountaineering tool? and if so, when was the last time a pick needed to be changed? Seems like a liability to have the potiential for pick loosening mid pitch. Is this acceptable for a pick changing benefit that will never be needed? Are people using this tool for water ice and drytooling?

Alpine ice, like this one:

z_Petzl-Aztar-axe-TH.JPG

or a half dozen other tools rolleyes.gif

Have the 57cm set. Adze with classic. Hammer with tech. Very versatile and relatively lightweight (20 oz w/leash). Comfortable for piolet canne. Swing well. Have used them on 50-70 deg alpine ice/snow. Haven't tried them yet on WI, but think they would fare well. Overall, think they are a great set of alpine tools.