Falling

Collin

This is a question and a story;

Question: What went through your head as you fell? What's your story?

Story: The crack moved up the wall going from small hands to finger tips. Clipping the anchor chain on P1, I moved up the arching crack of P2. 15 feet above P1 anchor I locked off and placed a nut thinking to myself, "solid placement but it could be better". Another 10 to 15 feet out I could feel the pump grow. Reaching with my right hand I locked off with a single digit. My left hand at my waist, I jammed three fingers knuckle deep into the crack. Just one move away I could see a good place to fit Mr. Blue into. I began to move when something went wrong. My fingers, my feet, I can't remember. "FALLING", I shouted to my belayer as I seperated from the rock. My feet snagged the rough granite turning me upside down. Smashing the back of my helmet, I tumbbled downward. I felt the tension of the rope slow my fall. I though it was over when again I felt no tention on the rope. "Fuck, the rope broke", I thought to myself. Thinking this I remember not being scared that I most likely could die in a few seconds. I just felt relaxed as if it would help ease the impact below. Smack, I hit my helmet again, or what I though was my helmet. The rope caught and I came to a stop. "You alright", my belayer yelled. "Still alive", I replied. Ten seconds later I realized my nut had popped and the anchor from P1 caught me. Still confused of how I came off the rock, I straightened myself and wanted to get back on the crack to redeem myself. I looked down to see blood spatter on my gear and on my shirt. Feeling the back of my head, I felt a wet spot and not the good kind of wet spot. I was bleeding pretty good. 50 + foot fall, small wound to the head, lots scrapes and a cam lodged in my back didn't seem to fade me too much. Climb on.

429603501fgDMKO

429604303WNMRtc

429606705BfHkaf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story: I was bleeding pretty good. 50 + foot fall, small wound to the head, lots scrapes and a cam lodged in my back didn't seem to fade me too much. Climb on.

Maybe it faded you a little? cantfocus.gif

Damn good thing you were wearing a helmet! Looks like blue from the helmet transferred to your head. So, was it the lower edge of the helmet that gouged the wound in your neck?

Basically, you took a FF 2 fall onto the belay, which is the worst sort of fall you can take. The other day I was ridiculed for putting a nut in 6 ft above the belay when there was a bolt only 12 away and easy moves. It's stories like yours that explains why I do that.

I spun around facing out from the cliff, looked at my hand a saw a part of the cliff in it's grasp. I thought, 'What the fuck is going on? Oh shit! I got to hit that ledge or I am fucked.' I tossed the rock out of my hand. Luckily I hit the ledge and avoided a long pendulum fall.

I think the saccular otolith reports on vertical accelerations, usual average resting rate of sensory neurons around 100 spikes/sec, a few thousand fibers per side. I forget what the average sensitivity is but if the sudden unweighting silences them all that's a few hundred thousand missing inputs which is pretty much the first noticeable thing to "go through" my head and yours, too. After that it gets complicated.

I spun around facing out from the cliff, looked at my hand a saw a part of the cliff in it's grasp. I thought, 'What the fuck is going on? Oh shit! I got to hit that ledge or I am fucked.' I tossed the rock out of my hand. Luckily I hit the ledge and avoided a long pendulum fall.

Did you aim for the ledge?

I got to hit that ledge or I am fucked.