Big Black Bear

allthumbs

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, I climbed with a guy named Huw from England. He pointed out that in his home country "safe conversation" centered around topics like weather, but in the western US it was bear stories. It seems that everyone has a bear story to share.

I once shared a rooftop eyrie for a few tense night-time minutes with a bear who'd climbed the ladder to get the trash we stored on top. We quickly climbed down once the bear retreated to the edge of the roof, then we pulled the ladder thinking we'd trapped the bear. The next morning: the bear was gone, but had left us a mess of pee-covered garbage and a steaming pile from the growler he's had. We caught him in a barrel trap a few days later, and he was transported into a wilderness area.

Smarter than the average bear to run away from trask. Just think what woulda happened if trask caught him or her [Eek!]

[big Drink][big Drink]

I used to see black bears every time I went hiking up the Black Mountain trail. It go so I'd say to whoever i was hiking with "we are gonna see a bear around this corner of the trail" and we would.

Good thing is black bear weighs about as much as a big human so you dont need a super strong armour suit like you do for Grizzlies (if you never seen Project Grizzly the movie you might be [Confused] right about now) [laf]

Danged bears are in my backyard. Some of the claw marked trees are within about 100' of the house. The real action is several hundred yards uphill, where there is a stand of alder that must be the singles bear bar of Thurston County, with a hundred trees marked with claws, hair, and some gooey stuff I wasn't too inclined to sniff. I've gotta go sit there quietly for a few hours sometime, see what I can see, cover myself in peanut butter, maybe they'll come real close...

Mountain Climber Reports Seeing Two Yeti on Mt. Everest

On Thursday, September 17, 1998, Craig Calonica, a mountain climber from the USA, was descending from a high-altitude campsite on Mount Everest in the Himalayas when he spotted two Yeti lumbering through the snow.

On Tuesday, October 13, "the 45-year-old skier and mountain climber" told Reuters that he "was on his way down to base camp at 17,000 feet (5,200 meters) from a camp at 21,300 feet (6,500 meters) when he saw the creatures."

"He said they had thick, shiny, black fur and walked like humans except a little hunched over at the shoulders."

"'My point was that I saw something and what I saw was not human, that was not a gorilla, not a bear, not a goat, and it was not a deer,' Calonica told Reuters. 'Their arms were very long, and their heads were very big.'"

Calonica was with his Nepali cook when the Yeti passed them by. The sighting took place on the north face of Mount Everest, about 56 kilometers (35 miles) southeast of Dinggye, Tibet. (Many thanks to Erik Beckjord of the Sasquatch Research Project for forwarding the Reuters article.)

(ParaScope Editor's Note: Another mountain climber, Reinhold Messner, recently authored a book in which he argues that the Yeti is actually a Tibetan bear; see related article for more info.)