Lower Malamute Shotcreted!

EWolfe

Mike Layton and I were up at Squamish FRiday and Saturday, and observed the process of the lower malamute being sprayed down with concrete. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Apparently, some A*#hole broke his ankle while poaching clean crack last year, stopping trains for the rescue. thumbs_down.gif

It is a sad day when some of the best climbing at squamish is buried under inches of concrete. frown.giffrown.gif

boxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... that town has to be burnt to the ground.

Some people have been trying for a while now to do just that, but everything's so F'ing wet and mouldy it just sort of smolders for a few minutes and then sputters out. Any suggestions? And there's a couple of spots where the ground would probably catch fire, too, so we need to watch out for that. But otherwise, I'm with you. Oh, and can we try to have the flames skip around my place? I've just paid off the mortgage, and I'd like to enjoy the place for a little while.

So when can we start? wink.gif

Any Penguins were probably killed off by the sodium hydroxide spill on Friday, unless they were able to get out of the water in time. At least the penguins would have been capable of getting out - all those trout and steelhead in the Cheakamus didn't stand a chance. Of course, a penguin in bondage would have a harder time making it onto shore, but it would still be better off than a fish, what with having no arms or legs at all. Tough call, but I'm going to say the penguin probably is just fine, despite the bondage thing.

this is terrible and destructive.

perhaps the action was taken because of last years rescue/accident but i think it may have been exacerbated by people continuing to climb there.

not to diss the casbc who tried valiantly to work with the CN, but i think given the intransigence of CN we may have taken some stronger action to communicate our frustration.

now may be the time to do more than speak out and write letters. ideas? suggestions? nothing violent or destructive please.

i think that we need to show that we are an important group with a legitimate right to pursue our activity. the act of forever ruining one of canada's premier crags needs to be addressed loudly.

Well I am saddened but not surprised by the railroads's action. They said stay off the tracks or we'll close it. Some idiots kept getting on the tracks so they closed it. Some idiots kept climbing so they made it unclimbable. Its some idiots that are to blame, not the railroad.

Any Penguins were probably killed off by the sodium hydroxide spill on Friday, unless they were able to get out of the water in time. At least the penguins would have been capable of getting out - all those trout and steelhead in the Cheakamus didn't stand a chance. Of course, a penguin in bondage would have a harder time making it onto shore, but it would still be better off than a fish, what with having no arms or legs at all. Tough call, but I'm going to say the penguin probably is just fine, despite the bondage thing.

yelrotflmao.gif (sucks about the spray-on concrete, though.)

serves us climbers right. now maybe all you wanks will realize climbing is a selfish waste of time. likewise realize that your actions good or bad, affect many many around you, all the time....

seriously sucks to lose a great area that includes perfect cracks...however, there are many perfect cracks all over the place.

slight tangent...how did Star Chek (and access to it) fare through the road widening?

All the bolts are smushed and unusable and there is some serous trundling going on to heave loose rock off before it can be climbed again.

Damn! I was hoping things would turn around in terms of access. There are so many great cracks down there. I was down there a couple years ago, unknowingly aware that access had been taken away. A BC railroad guy questioned us, but decided not to write us up. In return trips to Squamish, I have respected the closure. It's too bad it came to this. what the f*&!