What Fuels the Psyche of a Climber?

catbirdseat

And just for the records, all those Boeing engigeer / Mountaineer types, they don't climb because they are adrenaline junkies, they climb because they see climbing as rewarding rule-based, structured thought process. Same with the social aspect of it and having to do certain climbs so you can get your intermediate status or whatever.

That adrenaline junky car thief bullshit might apply to dirtbag rock monkey or modern alpinists, but not to your run of the mill northwest mountaineers, who are the ones who have been involved in the recent publicized accidents.

masochistic gimp-mask wearing slave = trad climber

constipated chemical engineer with slide rule = permabumbly and/or aid climber

meth taking, STD riddled group sexer = sport climber

amputation fetishist = 8000m climber

chronic masturbator = boulderer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just for the records, all those Boeing engigeer / Mountaineer types, they don't climb because they are adrenaline junkies, they climb because they see climbing as rewarding rule-based, structured thought process. Same with the social aspect of it and having to do certain climbs so you can get your intermediate status or whatever.

That adrenaline junky car thief bullshit might apply to dirtbag rock monkey or modern alpinists, but not to your run of the mill northwest mountaineers, who are the ones who have been involved in the recent publicized accidents.

engineer with slide rule = permabumbly and/or aid climber

I only boulder when I don't have anyone to trad climb with.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit callous and insulting? mad.gif

You forgot ice climbers... (this ought to be good) yellaf.gif

You forgot ice climbers... (this ought to be good) yellaf.gif

savior of the race and sex god = ice climber

Am I the only one who finds this a bit callous and insulting? mad.gif

I think he's absolutely right. Engineers can never crave excitement. They get all they need just going to the coffee pot and bumping into the only (homely) woman in the building. the_finger.gif

engineer with slide rule = permabumbly and/or aid climber

I only boulder when I don't have anyone to trad climb with.

but do you do it in beautiful places? With people you know and trust??? yellaf.gif

And carbon-dating the slings so he knows when to replace them.

and that's the ONLY kind of dating he'll be doing hahaha.gif

yellaf.gif didn't realize I set myself up for that one.

Hey Dru, do us a favor and tell us all WTF you do for a living that allows you to post so damn much and so fast all over this BB, eh?

Interesting thread. I wonder if there's a demographic study of who the non-professional Northwest climbers are? I suspect we may be a pretty boring group, CascadeClimbers characters notwithstanding....

I just asked that very same question in the thread about the SAR costs. If you find the answer to this, let me know. Either that, or we are going to have to design and conduct our own study. The world may depend on it.

Hey Dru, do us a favor and tell us all WTF you do for a living that allows you to post so damn much and so fast all over this BB, eh?

It should only take you about 30 seconds to find this out on your own.

It should only take you about 30 seconds to find this out on your own.

He's a Yukon Ho. moon.gif