The Circuit Gym

thecircuit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another update-

Foam and carpet is being replaced next week, I imagine we might be open the following weekend or so!

On another front, Gary Rall has been advertising to quite a few people of his interest in meddling with our buildout/permitting process (calling the fire marshall, etc.). Its rather dissapointing that he chooses to display this very immature, unprofessional, and unproductive attitude. Luckily, we are doing everything by the book and there is nothing he is capable of doing that will stop or delay our opening. Maybe his time would be better spent improving his own business rather than trying in vain to take us down......

Having just moved to Portland and being intrigued by the buzz of this place, I stopped by today and was extremely impressed with the gym. It seems like they've done a fantastic job. There's a ton of terrain for a bouldering gym. There's a boulder that hangs from the ceiling, BADASS. The holds I saw up (most of the terrain was set and taped) were quality. There's a central boulder that's big enough to do some longer laps on. There's even a small boulder that has a slide on it for the kids (I'd like to say that my 3 year-old daughter got an FA, but she couldn't pull the mantle and figured she could just climb up the slide and go up that way; much smarter than I). The manager, Matt, was extremely welcoming and seems to have a great attitude about the gym and the PDX climbing community. He seemed to think they'd open up in about two weeks; they were pulling up the floor that had been flooded. Rates are going to be super-reasonable. All in all, defintely a place that I could see myself climbing in and a group of people I'd be happy to financially support.

Not a shill. Not hired. Barely any muscle under all this weight I've gained lately. Just moved to Portland and am shopping around gyms. I think it might be difficult for me to join a gym whose owner sends the fire marshall out to the competition. I thought I'd put some positivity towards the opening of a new business whose mission is to support the climbing community. And it's the only gym I've ever been in that not only provides a boulder with a freakin' slide, but was psyched to see me come in with a 3 year-old. I just hope they make it, financially.

I guess Dr Flash works at PRG or something? Sorry to interfere with your Flashbashing. And, Squid, I am crushed: for once I thought somebody had noticed my thighmastering, jazzmastering, and 8-minute-absercizing paying off. Alas, it's back to the freezer where a gallon of Rocky Road will be my only consolation (as well as the major obstacle in my comeback to mediocre bouldering). The Circuit Gym better be my secret weapon, I've got a fair amount of pride at stake in the next SBC, training must start soon.

I'd like to know if this place is simply going to play the consumer market like every other business. PGR charges unreasonably high rates, yet the place is packed. Although they offer a different climbing experience, will the Circuit 'ride the market coat-tails' that PGR has established and charge a similar rate?

Why the fuck does it cost 60 bucks a month to climb in a gym? cry.gif

PRG tried a bouldering gym in the Pearl a few years back. Probably a concept in that area that would do well now but not back then.

I heard that PRG opened that other gym to thwart the efforts of another party that was planning on opening a gym in the Pearl. PRG quickly opened a gym, it was a really small bouldering gym, getting their footing in the Pearl first and eliminating much of the chance of someone else being able to do so (two gyms in the Pearl would not work). Then when the competition abandoned their plans, PRG closed the gym.

Could be a far fetched rumor, but if it is true, that is pretty shrewd business tactics.

See, now, I don't think this is the best way to go about things. "I heard" "could be a rumor" "if it's true"...

I re-opened this thread because I visited the place and was excited about the positivity surrounding the gym, their opening, and their attitude toward the PDX climbing community. Some people sound upset about how PRG is handling the opening of the circuit. Whatever is true regarding that situation, it doesn't help things to spread rumors about PRG management...

PRG tried a bouldering gym in the Pearl a few years back. Probably a concept in that area that would do well now but not back then.

I heard that PRG opened that other gym to thwart the efforts of another party that was planning on opening a gym in the Pearl. PRG quickly opened a gym, it was a really small bouldering gym, getting their footing in the Pearl first and eliminating much of the chance of someone else being able to do so (two gyms in the Pearl would not work). Then when the competition abandoned their plans, PRG closed the gym.

Could be a far fetched rumor, but if it is true, that is pretty shrewd business tactics.

This is completely false.

The reason that it costs so much to climb at a quality gym has to do with the fact that the overhead is incredible. You do not just set a few routes and then its all profit. I ran a small gym in wenatchee for 4 years so I know what I am talking about. Insurance is insane try paying 500.00 a month for insurance and rent or lease fees on a large building can be enormous. Then you have employees and all the state, fed, l&I, B&O, unemployment taxes and such. New holds, pads, good ropes and quality equipment all cost big $. Ad to that everybody bitches at the price no matter what you set it at. A gym is a hard thing to make work. Espaesially when the other guys in town try to shut you down, shame shame shame on you.

I too would like to know how much day/month passes are going to be. That's actually all I care about. I don't have any interest in the behind-the-scenes intrigue, water-damaged drywall, or the high cost of insurance. I just want to know if it's going to be a better value than the overpriced PRG.

thecircuit, you don't have to post your prices here but you might want to think about putting them on your website.

We have definitely been anxious to let people know our rates, but this is a very competative environment we are opening up in, despite the small amount of competition. Because of this reason we have not let our rates out. We will be posting this information very soon, and I really thank everyone for their patience.

I too would like to know how much day/month passes are going to be. That's actually all I care about. I don't have any interest in the behind-the-scenes intrigue, water-damaged drywall, or the high cost of insurance. I just want to know if it's going to be a better value than the overpriced PRG.

Complainer. yelrotflmao.gif

thecircuit, you don't have to post your prices here but you might want to think about putting them on your website.

Perhaps this is the new wave of customer service. They will wait for you to come in, size you up, then decide how much to charge based on how much money they think you have.

Either that, or they will miss out on the first 200 people interested in doing business with them, then do a price sheet too late, give it to the first guy to accidentally walk in, he will publish it here since no one who has been asking, and there are apparnetly many, has been able to obtain the info, and all the circuit is out is a couple of hundred customers. Not that I care since I don't get to the gym.

Voila.

I can't figure it out Ireno, but all kidding aside: and as an aside to the circuit guys: wish you well in this endevor. In a growing market, I suspect and hope that both PRG and you will have enough customers to make a living and stay in biz.

Good luck and keep in touch.