would like to begin!

I would like to begin toning up my muscles and eating right to slim down....pairing that with the right exercise.

current:

19 yr old female

5'9"-150

run 2-4 mi. every other day

boulder in climbing gym 5 days a week

eats....whatever!??

does anyone have any suggestions?

i'd really like to improve my strength to take my climbing to the next level. climbing only 5.8 5.9 right now...

comments appreciated!!

-moons

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resistance training would be useful.

Generally this means lifting weights, but a rigorous yoga program would also work.

But honestly, technique is what's keeping you from the 5.10 stuff (unless you're some off-the-bell-curve freak). But lifting weights would still be useful, if only for the boost in confidence.

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.

boulder in climbing gym 5 days a week

it's spring! go climbing outside. if you have time to go to the gym five nights a week (five?) then you have time to hit the nearest crag after work at least twice a week. plus you'll get a good hike in some fresh air, which is much better for your climbing than breathing chalk dust and listening to bad music.

if you can't get out then i would suggest climbing in the gym less. if you don't rest you will be fatigued. climbing fatigued can be good to an extent, but eventually you're just practicing bad technique.

mix up your cardio training. run one day, bike the next, do hills the next, etc. keep your body in constant confusion as to what you are going to throw at it next.

on days that you climb in the gym save some steam for lifting weights afterwards. after you climb lift the climbing muscles. the next day lay off the gym but lift the non-pulling muscles and do cardio. rest you muscles the next day! go for a good run but otherwise rest. repeat day one and two. climb all weekend. repeat.

but seriously, the winter is over (did it come?) and if you really want to get better go climb on rock whenever you can.

I would suggest tagging on a little distance to workouts.

Take it beyond the normal jog, bike or hike to something that pushes you more into athlete territory.

When you get back and you're starving, eat healthy, even if you feel like you deserve a Big Mac.

If you can get outside Vs. the gym, thats better, like stated above. You end up hiking more and being more active in general. Plus, it is fun.

Technique will come with the miles you put in on the rock.

We've all seen week obese men climb 5.11.

What you see as strength on the wall is usually just very tuned technique (wish I had that).

Being strong helps, but I know some Biffs that couldn't climb 5.6.

I would say in general: being strong helps but the same amount of effort put into technique will get you farther.

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.

sorry, what a load of turd. both in sex and climbing

lift weights and endurance train. that has made a difference in my over all fitness. I wouldn't say I am a vastly better climber... i still fall all the time, and i still suck. but i am in better shape, i can hike harder and get to the REALY GOOD climbing areas in a better amount of time. what helps me climb better is to climb with good climbers that have realy awsome technique. keep your heals down and watch your feet. know where you are going before you get there. but the most important part of climbing to me isn't climbing a harder grade or ticking off some list or what ever, it is about going and playing outstide with people whos company you enjoy and who are willing to help you push as far as you are willing to go.

have fun bigdrink.gif

Unless you're having a specific problem you can't get past, just work harder. Doesn't matter at what. Do you lift during the week? Lift more/longer. Do you run? Run more/further. Climbing a lot? Climb harder stuff.

Climbing 10s isn't a marathon. You don't need a strict body and diet regiment. Just push harder.

sorry, what a load of turd. both in sex and climbing

Worry not, for you there are prosthetics.

Try harder? Do harder!