"support our troops..."

Alex

"..but dont recruit our children!"

http://www.komotv.com/stories/36242.htm

Here is a proposal for you:

-- if we are going to continue to foster the idea that our society can use military force to further our country's agenda on a global scale, I would like to see mandatory military active duty for all young American's, both men and women, for at least one year after high school graduation. (Thereafter the soldiers must remain as reservists for a period of time.)

I believe that if parents are confronted with sending their own children, not just the (predominantly poor) children of their neighbors, into the combat zones that are created out of our society's consumer-driven need to drive SUVs and snort some blow, people might start thinking much harder about the officials they elect and the foreign policy decisions those officials make.

Until that day that your own children sign up for active duty and go to some place like Iraq, the little yellow ribbons on your trucks are a slap on the face to ever serving member of the armed forces.

Peace out

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"..but dont recruit our children!"

http://www.komotv.com/stories/36242.htm

Here is a proposal for you:

-- if we are going to continue to foster the idea that our society can use military force to further our country's agenda on a global scale, I would like to see mandatory military active duty for all young American's, both men and women, for at least one year after high school graduation. (Thereafter the soldiers must remain as reservists for a period of time.)

I believe that if parents are confronted with sending their own children, not just the (predominantly poor) children of their neighbors, into the combat zones that are created out of our society's consumer-driven need to drive SUVs and snort some blow, people might start thinking much harder about the officials they elect and the foreign policy decisions those officials make.

Until that day that your own children sign up for active duty and go to some place like Iraq, the little yellow ribbons on your trucks are a slap on the face to ever serving member of the armed forces.

Peace out

Nah, let's just make military service mandatory for every war protestor. After they pay their dues fighting for a year or two, then they have the right to protest in good faith. the_finger.gif

How long did you serve?

Nice try, Torquemada.

Nice try at what? If you are arguing that the only legitimate voice of protest is that which has served its country than I would think you would agree the converse is true, that is if you support our countries war efforts the only legitimate way is to serve.

I wasn't making any personal attack. Lets not call each other names, hmm?

bigdrink.gif

I would like to see mandatory military active duty for all young American's, both men and women, for at least one year after high school graduation. (Thereafter the soldiers must remain as reservists for a period of time.)

They're already doing this in Israel

But again, how evenly was the draft applied? It may have been random in concept, but it seems that political strings can get pulled, and were back to the loss of life being a somewhat abstract concept for those making the decisions, instead of the loss of life possibly including their sons and daughters.

I like how people complain about aggressive military recruiters, but you don't hear as much about aggressive college recruiters, credit card company recruiters, or other types of aggressive marketers. They are all the same. They are all just marketers. The people complaining against the military recruiters are just anti-war and want no one to sign up and they look for any excuse to fight against war.

But again, how evenly was the draft applied? It may have been random in concept, but it seems that political strings can get pulled, and were back to the loss of life being a somewhat abstract concept for those making the decisions, instead of the loss of life possibly including their sons and daughters.

Even if a draft is applied equally, strings will be pulled regarding where/in what capacity draftees are assigned. Not everyone serves a combat role on the front line.

I like how people complain about aggressive military recruiters, but you don't hear as much about aggressive college recruiters, credit card company recruiters, or other types of aggressive marketers. They are all the same. They are all just marketers. The people complaining against the military recruiters are just anti-war and want no one to sign up and they look for any excuse to fight against war.

If you think that people who steal your money are somehow equivalent to people who steal your children, then I'm not sure this is even worth rebutting.

Surely there are people who are against this war who are using any avenue they can to fight it. But to dismiss the possibility that some may be primarly motivated to fight this recruiting because they would rather their children not be tricked into an unbreakable contract (for life!) that involves signficant risk of death or disability, is a very dumb thing to say.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. When was the last time Bank of America sent you off to die in exchange for a low introductory APR?