Climbing artical

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with his thoughts that paying 60,000$ to be guided up everest is kind of lame. I image he feels much the same way i do when people who don't climb tell me they have climbed rainer. Then I ask if they were guided and of course they went up the dc with rmi. I know eveyone has there own sense of adventure but of the 5 people i have talk to that have done this none could tell me anything about crevasse rescue and only 2 new what i meant by self arrest. So is it really climbing, to be guide up rainer? I know everest is different but i image thats how he feels.

Oh, and i willing be going to Kearneys side show on Thursday instead.

Looks pretty cool and short to me.

My fav is the Tilman part-In the same year, in Houston's words, he and British climber Bill Tillman "went on a picnic" and found the route by which the world's tallest peak, 29,035-foot Mount Everest, was first climbed three years later.

Tilman kicked so much ass over anyone nowadays it's funny. [Mad][big Grin] Cheers to Bill Tilman's adventures [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by ivan:

fuk'em
[Moon]
...what's he climbed lately? last time i checked i was climbing for fun too...

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

Right on. He sounds like every other 80 year old complaining about "kids these days"....
[Roll Eyes]

Sounds like every other kid these days complaining about 80-year old hardmen.

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

Maybe he's the absolute hardest of hardmen, and like Caveman said cheers to his accomplishements. That said, he still comes off sounding like...

Remember, you're reading words from a newspaper column, and even though Houston is quoted, it's just one small side of him, as filtered through the eyes of another...in this case Joel Connelly. Journalistic columns are meant to be forums for opinion, and opinion is exactly what Connelly is giving, using Houston's words to back it up. My own opinion, FWIW, is that it is perfectly normal for the Houstons, Hillarys, Messners and other climbers from decades ago to lament the changes, the lack of innocence, and the current state of climbing and the world. C'est la vie. And it's perfecty normal for us as we get older to have strong opinions.

But again, the Houstons of the world have a lot more to say about what it really was like. Charley IS a bona fide hardman, has contributed much to climbing and our understanding of high-altitude physiology, and is cool to boot. Given the choice of presentations between the local younger Kearney and Boston-area native Charley in his 80s, there is no question who I would choose to see. Wish I wasn't in Spokane mid-week. Somebody please post a TR, and let me know if Charley's wearing his Pendleton wool shirt.