BD HALFDOME HELMET

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

2 weeks after sending jarred the money, he sent me the helmet, which I believe was misrepresented. It came covered in red stickers and badly beat-up. The thing looks like it's taken years of abuse. I pm'd Jarred to ask for a refund (i'd cover the return shipping) to which he replied with the following:

At the bottom of this message is the exact text that I listed in the Yard Sale. The same text you read when wanting to buy the helmet. I didn't have a picture of it, nor did you ask. The red stickers are cool, and if you don't like them, they come off very clean, they don't leave any residue, so peel them off. Also, it's scratched up from the crags, as I stated. It has never been hit by falling rocks, which would be the thing that would jeopardize the integrity of the helmet. I'm not going to return it. When I have that as an option I tell people that in the item description. And usually it's for things that fit a certain way, boots, etc. You bought it, it was cheap, it's a good helmet with TONS of life left in it, and sorry if you don't like the graphics, but what did you expect for $30 including shipping. I'm kind of surprised you expected your money back. Ebay would not give you this option. Why would this be different if not stated up front. I hope you enjoy the helmet and get out and climb with it a lot.

My only thought is that he felt this way about the helmet, why didn't he further explain in the ad. There's no way to tell that it's never been hitten by a falling object in the condition it's in and I have a hard time placing too much trust in the words of this seller.

Having met several people on this site, I probably was a bit too trustful that somebody with 230 posts wouldn't stretch the truth too badly. Now I knwo I was mistaken.

Jarred - Do the right thing. Take the helmet back and refund the money.

I think its poor form (and a violation of the terms of this site) to post private messages in the public domain without permission from all the parties involved.

That being said, I think $30 for a used, scratched, year-old helmet is ridiculous. But hey, you knew that before sending him the dough. Maybe you should have asked for a picture?

The fact that he didn't disclose the stickers in the original ad is unfortunate.

For what its worth, I recently sold some mittens on here to a guy in Seattle. I thought they were large but didn't bother to look at the tag on the gloves. The purchaser wrote to tell me they are XL and won't fit. I'm refunding his money and shipping charge because it was my error--certainly not his--and I want him to be happy.

I hope you guys work it out.

It seems like the intentions of the second half of this thread are:

1. EternalX trying to persuade Jarred_jackman to give a refund,

2. use the community as a sounding board, that is, get a read on other peoples opinion on who should do what, and

3. send a warning to other people intending to do business with Jarred_Jackman.

If these assumption are incorrect, sorry, and disregard what follows.

I'll start by saying I agree with the idea it's inappropriate to post the contents of a PM on the board w/o the original authors consent. PM stands for PRIVATE message.

Second, I purchased two ice tools from Jarred_Jackman earlier this year, sO I at least know SOMETHING about the situation and how Jarred_Jackman does business.

It seems like the standard for internet sales is you make the choice whether or not you want to purchase. You have to judge the seller's integrity (like checking number of posts, sending a pm to other people who've bought from them, reading posts of his other sales, calling sellers on the phone and chatting, etc...) in making your choice. Consider what would hold up in court: you bought it sight unseen, you's probably have little recorse.

I sent Jarred_jackman an email requesting photos of the tools and he sent me pics the next day. I sent him several other emails asking questions and confirming and clarifying what he'd already told me about the tools. Quick responses and no b.s. It seems like you might have done the same and saved yourself some trouble.

Finally, if I haven't already made this clear I'll restate that by my interactions with Jarred_Jackman and the online purchase I made through him, I'd say he's a legit seller. Just my opinion.

dave

p.s.: The tools he sold me shipped the day after my check clear and took something like five days total from the time I mailed him a check.

Let me explain my last post a little bit. in internet dealings, all we have to work with is an open forum for comparing buyers and sellers. I have a perfect 100% ebay record because I've always been honest when i buy and sell things on ebay.

this site is a little different. all we have here are the open comments about the buyers and sellers. There's no power rating or feedback other than in the groups.

Jarred has an opportunity to do the right thing here. He has a purchaser that is not satisfied with his product. That purchaser is willing to split the cost of the shipping as a showing of good faith. I honestly believe Jarred would have a difficult time selling this product which is why he's so reluctant to refund the money. it's not in his best interest to refund the money unless there's some repurcussions of misrepresentation. I'm trying to show there are repercussions.

One reason why I like this site is because I feel like the people on here are a community of like minded individuals and I don't believe any of you would've been happy with the purchase. It's in your best intest to be informed of this purchase and situation. I'm sorry but I don't feel that i don't have the right to post the PM he sent me. I feel only it would show the true nature of the message he sent to me, which was "too bad, so sad". If you all want sellers like that on this board, then I suggest you ignore this thread.

Jarred is probably a great guy who just exaggerated a little bit much on this product. All I'm asking is for him to own up and take it back.

IMHO

Buying and/or selling a used helmet seems kind of odd to me. I would not trust a used helmet to protect, what I deem to be, a fairly valuable brain. Likewise I would not sell my used helmet to anyone. I would feel horrible if anything ever happened to that person while wearing the helmet, even if it was found to be 100% structurally sound. Helmets, rope, biners, harnesses and the like are life saving equipment. I would be as uncomfortable buying a used helmet as I would be if my climbing partner bought a 10 year old untested avy beacon. Pony-up, spend the dough, and know that you will not recoupe any of the money you put into it. The same way that your insurance company does not say "oh here, since you did not get a terminal illness this year, here is $200".

just my opinion, hope you all figure it out.

In some ways you did not do your due dilligence. Jarred_Jackman is not REI and isnt obligated under "Yard Sale Rules" or any unwritten rules of the Internet to make you happy.

In other ways I find it odd that Jarred would not refund you the cash if you pay shipping. While Jarred cited in his PM that ebay does not require this, he is in fact wrong: you can stop payment on Paypal, and in fact oftentimes ebay'ers will request a refund from the seller in exchange for return shipping if a product has not met their expectation. I have done this myself...the first person I sold my BD Prophets to was looking for Carbon Fiber BPs, even though the pic I had posted was clear. I refunded the money, while he paid return shipping. This is standard practice.

Hope you guys work it out

I have BD halfdome helmet with one year's cragging use and IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT already. I can easily see how EternalX's expectations did not meet reality. Likewise I can see how JJ thought nothing of it, since he knows the true history of the item.

That said, a buyer beware attitude is lame, and your honor (or at least mine) is not worth 30 measly bucks that will be gone the next time you fill up your gas tank. I pulled some shit like that in high school and it still makes me feel shitty when I think back on it.