Terri Schiavo Thread

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone ever find themselves yelling at their radio? I did yesterday. well not quite yelling, but close to it.

was listening to NPR's coverage of the death when they said something to the effect of:

"... and it's been an issue that millions upon millions of Americans have been keenly aware of ..."

and I suddenly found myself saying...

"Well that's because YOU, just like EVERY OTHER FUCKIN media outlet in the whole goddam country, can't stop talking about it! Jezus Christ people isn't there anything more important to talk about?!?! I'm so bored with this shit!!!!!! ... c'mon, NPR, you're better than this... " etc.

madgo_ron.gif

then, they started talking about the teddy bear she was holding when she died, and I had to change the channel. even Ricker on KISW had more meaningful shit to talk about yesterday afternoon than NPR. hahaha.gifrolleyes.gif

John Paul II has a UTI that has progressed into sepsis and decompensatory shock. He's only being kept alive by intensive care and powerful drugs. When's the Vatican going to let him go?

I don't know where you're getting that. The news this morning sounds like he himself is "letting go".

He's letting go, but they're not letting him go. They're delaying an inevitable death by maybe a few days. And at the considerable expense of fancy doctors, equipment, and drugs. That same money spent elsewhere could save thousands from famine.

Popes were once nearly always Italian, but the election of John Paul II (who is Polish) shattered a 450-year tradition. Since 1978, the College of Cardinals has grown increasingly international, reflecting the growth of Catholicism in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.

"The church is rapidly approaching a point where you can say it's a non-European church," says John Paul Wauck, a professor at the Sante Croce Pontifical University in Rome. "The next pope, regardless of his nationality, will by necessity be a non-European pope."

While many observers look to Latin America as the source of the next pontiff, others look to Africa, where Catholicism is growing most rapidly. But Africa is seen as a long shot because of the lack of established church tradition there in comparison to Latin America or Europe.

The Vatican denies reports that Pope John Paul II has died. Earlier, Italian media agencies gave contradictory reports about the state of the Pope's health.

Reuters news agency, citing unconfirmed Italian media reports, said Pope John Paul II, the leader of the world's 1.1 billion Catholics, had died.

But Italy's Sky Italia released a report quoting Vatican sources that said the Pope's brain and heart were still functioning. The Vatican denied the report.

"It is not true that the Pope is dead and there is no truth that his electro-encephalogram is flat because there is no such machine in the papal apartments," a Vatican official said.

The last official Vatican statement on his health said the Pope's breathing "has become shallow," and that his kidneys are not functioning.

Not that she has died, I wonder where Jesse Jackson will show up next... He sure used this as a great photo op...

Franky say:

Rhymin' Man,

Tall and tan,

Rhyme or reason,

Play your hand --

Rhyme on this -- rhyme on that

Oh, you naughty Democrat!

They say when Doctor King got shot,

Jesse hatched an evil plot,

Dipped his hands in the Doctor's blood,

'N rubbed his shirt like playin' with mud

Looked around for all the press

'N said: "Check me out, my name is Jess!

I'll be known from towns 'n farms --

Doctor King died in my arms!"

Rhymin' Man,

Tall and tan,

Rhyme or reason,

Play your hand --

A few years later, legend says,

Rhymin' man made a run for Prez

Farrakhan made him a clown,

Over there near Hymie-Town

Said he was a diplomat --

Hobbin' an-a-knobbin' with Arafat

Castro was simpatico,

But the U.S. voters, they said: "No!"

Rhymin' Man,

Tall and tan,

Rhyme or reason,

Play your hand --

Okay, here we go again!

Rhymin' Man says he's your friend

Any fool can make a rhyme --

Cowboys do it all the time

People say: "Now he's mature!"

Cowboys rhyme that with horse manure

Horse manure!

That's for sure!

You been cheatin' --

We kept score!

Are you "this"?

Or are you "that"?

Oh, you naughty

Democrat!

Frank Zappa from Broadwy The Hard Way.

Jackson is a has been, he should retire.

One of these would have avoided the whole mess,

I, _________________________ (fill in the blank), being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alivindefinitely by artificial means. Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of peckerwood politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it. If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to sit up and ask for a cold beer, it should be presumed that I won't do so ever again. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my spouse, children and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day. Under no circumstances shall the members of the Legislature enact a special law to keep me on life-support machinery. It is my wish that these boneheads mind their own damn business, and pay attention instead to the health, education and future of the millions of Americans who aren't in a permanent coma and who nonetheless may be in need of nourishment. Under no circumstances shall any politicians butt into this case. I don't care how many fundamentalist votes they're trying to scrounge for their run for the presidency in 2008, it is my wish that they play politics with someone else's life and leave me alone to die in peace. I couldn't care less if a hundred religious zealots send e-mails to legislators in which they pretend to care about me. I don't know these people, and I certainly haven't authorized them to preach and/or crusade on my behalf. They should mind their own damn business, too. If any of my family goes against my wishes and turns my case into a political cause, I hereby promise to come back from the grave and make his or her existence a living hell.