So who went skiing this weekend and where?

JoshK

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I figured chinook pass might be good. We drove near by (over cayuse pass) on our way up the stevens canyon road (now closed).

Oops, I meant to post this too:

We toured about a mile on the stevens canyong road, then the trail up to pinnacle saddle. We traversed from the saddle to beneath the castle-pinnacle col and over onto the pinnacle "glacier" We did a few runs there and then toured back out to the car. It wsa a great day! Really beautiful too.

The rest of my group tryed to ski about 10cm of snow on grass and rock at the Hurly Silver Mine cabin on the duffy lake road. Unfortunatly the person putting skiis on the car though it would be funny to leave to roof rack undone, and I forgot to check it [Eek!] . One of my skiis decided to take flight in the first few kilometers of the trip and despite a lengthy search could not be recovered [Frown] .

went to rainier on sunday...could skin up right from the parking lot at paradise (being careful of course not to stray from the asphalt trail and damage any foliage). Skinned up to about 8200ft yoyo'ed for a while then started down...flat light, visbility varied a lot, but enough snow (barely enough down low) to ski all the way back to the parking lot. It'll be even better next weekend!

the flats below pan point:

http://www.pottier.com/nic/down.jpg

traversing onto the snout of the snowfield:

http://www.pottier.com/nic/traverse_small.jpg

[ 11-11-2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: pete a ]

Heliotrope Ridge on Sunday... it was good for November. Pretty flat light, and a little wind-crusted up on the glacier, but no rocks of course. With each run the snow seemed to get better and less crusty (?). The best snow was down in the meadows below the glacier, but it was only about 15-20 inches deep... had to go fast in order not to hit rocks.

I wasn't able to make it off the Island, but me and a couple buds watched "Soul Slide". Good shots and soundtrack, not put together as well as Nils Larsen's "Big mountain, Little Skier". Worth seeing. We also watched Lynn Hill freeing "The Nose". Not well put together but WOW! Anyone know if The Cascade River Road is still open to the upper parking lot? I was thinking of going up there this weekend. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

Heliotrope Ridge on Sunday... it was good for November. Pretty flat light, and a little wind-crusted up on the glacier, but no rocks of course. With each run the snow seemed to get better and less crusty (?). The best snow was down in the meadows below the glacier, but it was only about 15-20 inches deep... had to go fast in order not to hit rocks.

"only about 15-20 inches deep"!!! How much more can you ask for?!

I had plans to ski, but got talked out of carrying my boards by a snowboarding climber buddy- what a mistake! We were slogging thru a foot of dense powder that more than covered up the rocks, The touring and turns would have been Fantastic!

Why do i keep listening to bad judgement snowboarders?

Enjoy the early season turns at keystone. By February you'll be enjoying another lovely Colorado ski season; a whopping 30" base and lovely groomers! [MR T][laf][laf][sleep]

Talk to me in July when I'm still touring on awesome terrain with plenty of sweet corn snow! [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][rockband]

BTW, Dave, are you getting your base repaired this week? From the weather it is looking like next weekend might be some pretty good touring. I think I'm gonna hold off for a few weeks and let them fix all the damage at once!