layton

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!

FRIDAY...SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 5000 FEET... PASS WINDS SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 4500 FEET... PASS WINDS SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH.

SATURDAY...RAIN AT TIMES... SNOW LEVEL 5000 FEET... PASS WINDS SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH.

SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...RAIN AT TIMES... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET BREEZY.

VETERANS DAY AND TUESDAY...RAINY AND BREEZY AT TIMES... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET.

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET

quote:

Originally posted by Winter:

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Martin:

Winter,

It's supposed to rain in Red Rocks this weekend.

Jason

BAHHH! Who cares? You can climb sandstone in the rain ... or snow. Looks like it'll be dry by Sunday and I'm there through Tuesday night.

[rockband]
damn yo, i might see you at the airport

I attest to the fact that you need to give Red Rocks some time to dry out after it rains. I experienced the pleasure of climbing on damp rock there a few weeks back. Holds get wet, holds get brittle, holds break off. Climber collects bad karma for ruining routes.

Once it stops raining, wait until the next day before you start climbing. Just for added incentive one of the desert guidebooks states that sandstone looses up to 75% of it's strength once wet. Scary!

quote:

BAHHH! Who cares? You can climb sandstone in the rain ... or snow. Looks like it'll be dry by Sunday and I'm there through Tuesday night.

[rockband]

You can, but the stone is weaker and holds tend to break off, especially those cool incuts behind the varnished plates. Water pools in the incuts and really weakens the stone a lot. But if you are selfish enough to destroy routes, have at it. Maybe you should take a chisel so you can carve new holds where you snap off the original ones.

Suckers. That was troll. You think I'm gonna climb that choss in the rain? [Moon]

Earlier this spring I saw some guy deck out 'cause his pro pulled from soft rock on an infrequently traveled route. I thought he has dead, but he just go the wind knocked out of him. If it rains I'll be at the In n Out Burger.

Erik, we'll be at 13 mile this weekend. I look something like my avatar image. [Cool]

quote:

Suckers. That was troll. You think I'm gonna climb that choss in the rain?
[Moon]

Earlier this spring I saw some guy deck out 'cause his pro pulled from soft rock on an infrequently traveled route. I thought he has dead, but he just go the wind knocked out of him. If it rains I'll be at the In n Out Burger.

Erik, we'll be at 13 mile this weekend. I look something like my avatar image.
[Cool]

i dont fly in till tuesday..and we are staying at a friends house!!

[ 11-08-2002, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: erik ]