Intrawest and new huts on Spearhead traverse

Zoran

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a place for a hut to hut in the Coast Range. It could be awesome. rockband.gif

That place is NOT a provincial park if they are operated by a private company.

madgo_ron.gif I can't wait 'til our provincial election... though sadly I think we will get these bastards back. frown.gif

Who needs huts on the Spearhead anyways? That's like a day trip... wink.gif

Yeah, you all read the same article and it was purely speculative. As far as I am concerned (which 'aint a hell of a lot, to tell you the blunt truth of the matter), the more huts the better. As the sledhead crowd has aptly demonstrated, you hafta stake your turf, cause the dicks in Victoria aint gonna do it for ya. I have a big problem with the Kitsilano Birkenstock crowd wanting to protect wilderness as a complete no-trespassing area as if it were the crystalization of our collective guilt for the Industrial Revolution. If we want to sell BC to its citizens as a pristine wilderness area, we must have the faciltites to ensure they can access it. Fuck, I wanna see huts all over the place. The model whereby we demarcate wilderness as void of humans is the most pathetic ANTI-environmental idea. /Rant out

• 1 month later...

Oh christ man rolleyes.gif Okay, let me spell this one out for you here . . . You have giant wilderness/park areas but no one ever goes there because it's a mess of canyons, icefields, etc. Hey, I love that shit, but most folks don't. Is a society truly appreciative of wilderness and responsive to threats to it if it is always kept at arm's length? Fuck no. Do you think if we promoted self-powered travel with huts and trails then folks would be more likely to stand up for the idea of wilderness? Gee, that might just work tongue.gif

Edited by jordop

Jordo thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

The american environmentalists dislike of structures like huts is fucking lame. Washington State could use some huts in the mountains; the wild areas of BC are much much bigger.

If you want people to support parks and wild lands you need to get them out in it. Huts help in that respect. The also help consolidate the human footprint in a popular area. Instead of having 30 freeform campsites and folks shitting everywhere you can have one hut and an outhouse.

word...Jordop. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

same idea as having a freaking zoo...like bring the safari or polar bear to the mass so people care and want to protect the animals. well, we can't bring the wilderness to the people in a nice compact way, so create access points for people to visit the "wilderness".

The also help consolidate the human footprint in a popular area. Instead of having 30 freeform campsites and folks shitting everywhere you can have one hut and an outhouse.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

There are a few huts in US National Parks, mostly grandfathered in because of NPS stupidity. Ostrander in Yose, Pear Lake in Sequoia (both winter only) are cheap and cool. The 2 in Glacier are a fucking fortune, and sound like something Intrawest would do.