Dr_Crash

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you plan to use it?

rolleyes.gif

Good lord, it's a shirt, not a spacecraft.

the_finger.gif

If Dr C plans to layer it over a base layer in a manner similar to what Twight describes in EA then he should get the WT model and save some weight (I suspect this is the case).

However if he plan on carrying it in the late spring or early fall as an emergency layer for surprise showers then he should get the patagonia hoody. The WT isn't beefy enough to stand up to alpine rock as an outer layer where as the patagonia one will barely suffice in a pinch (don't plan on making a habit out of it). Additional the Patagonia one has a hood which will keep him a bit drier. Trying to layer the Patagonia piece similar to how twight proposes isn’t the best as the hood will get in the way especially if he wears slings around his body.

Assumptions only get one into trouble. And at the end of the day none of us know exactly what DrC is going to do with it so it would be asinine to just run one's mouth off about which one is better based on an assumption. The first thing they teach you in outdoor retail is ask the customer what they hope to do with the item before recommending an item. I opened my mouth only to demonstrate the legitimacy of his question.

And you should ask Jim to clarify “pretty well”. My Arcteryx Kappa (much beefier than a wind shirt) has gained 5 ounces in weight due to all the holes Arcteryx has patched for me over the past 4 years… the back of the jacket now looks like polka dots. Additionally: I shredded a WT windshirt on 1 weekend at WA pass.

My Arcteryx Kappa (much beefier than a wind shirt) has gained 5 ounces in weight due to all the holes Arcteryx has patched for me over the past 4 years…

cry.gif

duuuude you're gonna blow the onsight of the sit start to diamond life now for sure!

maybe you can cut the bristles off your toothbrush to compensate

I think you're all neglecting the fashion angle. I find that Patagonia clothing accessorizes better and is cut for the man of the mountains. Their spring lines tend to be fresh, colorful, and organic. They are versitile, usable for trail running, mountain biking, nordic skiing, hiking, or backbacking....all in one garmet. Wild Things seems to tend toward unimaginative colors names. They say "function" to the fashion oriented mind. Patagonia has colors such as "Bonfire Orange" or "Solar Green".

In the end, I've got to say you should buy them both, because one is never enough, and you'll have options.

"You want to look good up there..." ...world famous mountaineer and guide Eric Simonson

My Arcteryx Kappa (much beefier than a wind shirt) has gained 5 ounces in weight due to all the holes Arcteryx has patched for me over the past 4 years…

cry.gif

duuuude you're gonna blow the onsight of the sit start to diamond life now for sure!

My point is 5 ounces of repair material is a lot of holes. Therefore DrC should expect even more holes as the kappa is beefier than then either of those 2 jackets. Work with me here... wazzup.gif

Edited by NOLSe

cry.gif

My point is 5 ounces of repair material is a lot of holes. Therefore DrC should expect even more holes as the kappa is beefier than then either of those 2 jackets. Work with me here... wazzup.gif

5 oz of patches on a 4 oz or 2.6oz jacket? that's JP PATCHES baby!!

don't you think maybe that they might use a lighter patch material on a superlight windshirt than they would use on a goretex jacket yellaf.gif

i dragged my coated nylon, 3lb. 7 oz cruiser jacket behind a speeding logging truck for 2 days and then set it on fire. Viking repaired the damage by shellacing it with 52 layers of seam seal and also added some lead sheets for improved protection from cosmic rays. now it weighs 17 lb. 12 oz. best to consider this when thinking about how your ultralight windshirt will stand up to light mountaineering use!

The Houdini is the perfect garment for, say, pounding nails into a frame for a non-profit housing project, wandering the dunes of the Gobi, or prepping the fresh-caught steelhead for the evening barby.

You mean accessorizing your Pearl District loft, wandering over to Powells for a new book, and stopping by wholefoods for the farmraised atlantic, right?

I was thinking the use would be to replace my 13 oz REI ultralight jacket as my emergency-crap-it's-raining thing, and also use it for alpine rock when it's windy. I was going for the WT when someone indicated a hood really is a great feature when it's windy (never has bothered me topo much).

NOLSe, what's MT's system? His book is at home, can't have a look now.

drC