Dealing w/ junk mail

Skeezix

Living here in Taholah, we have no paper recycling pickup. Of course, I still receive daily credit card offers in the mail. So, lately, I've been crossing my name out on the contents of credit card mailings, re-inserting all the paper into the business reply envelope, and sending it all back to the company. I even use scissors to cut up the outer envelope the stuff comes in and inserting that into the business-reply envelope as well. It all goes back. What do you think of this scheme? One con that comes to mind immediately is that I'm wasting the energy of the Postal Service carting this tripe back to the credit card predators...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've been stuffing other crap into the envelopes for awhile, but I'm not convinced it does much aside from entertain myself. I expect they've got some sorting machine that kicks out any fat or seriously overweight envelopes since it's unlikely to be a dutiful response to their come-on. It does move a little crap out of my recycle bin though.

I actually got the idea from my local post office. They told me that unfortunately I could not just tape the reply envelope to a big rock anymore, but I could put anything I wanted in the envelope and fill it as much as I could, as long as it was not a hazardous substance that was illegal to mail. I figured that meant used coffee grounds were okay. They also said don't worry about wasting the Postal Service's time, they need the work.

When you mail back those business reply envelopes, write "please remove my name + address from your mailing list" next to your name on the inside portion. I believe they are legally required to comply.

I've thought of making a sticker that says just that.

If you haven't signed up for the "Do Not Call" list yet, you should do so. The number of telephone solicitors calling my house went from a couple/day to zero. thumbs_up.gif Charities and political organizations can still call.

If you haven't signed up for the "Do Not Call" list yet, you should do so. The number of telephone solicitors calling my house went from a couple/day to zero. thumbs_up.gif Charities and political organizations can still call.

Cellphone's been my only phone since '99. Never have problems smirk.gif

I just shread the junkmail. Amusingly I've never had the time to do anything else

I don't have a "shreader" grin.gif, and I am always worried about someone getting a hold of the credit card solicitations in my name, so I usually rip them up and put part in recycling and part in the garbage.

I like the idea of returning the stuff thumbs_up.gif

Even better (if it works) is writing "please take my name and address off your mailing list" thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Don't know about stopping ALL junk mail but in the fine print on credit card offers is an 800 number you can call so you never get another credit card offer. Worked for me, haven't gotten one in years.

As to junk mail in general, the Index PO has a big recycle box just arm's reach from the window, an excellent and heavily used public service. Lobby for one in your neighborhood....

I don't have the time for such hijinks with direct mail, but if you do send back the business reply envelopes, it's costing the direct mailer a minimum of $0.47 per piece (more if you fill it up with sheets of paper etc. and raise the weight above 1 oz.).

If you write "no longer at this address" on the piece and put it back in your mailbox, one of 2 things is going to happen, assuming it's been mailed at Standard/Bulk Mail Rates: (1) if they've stamped "address correction requested" on the envelope, they'll get it back and be charged $0.70, or (2) if they haven't put such an endorsement on the piece, the USPS will throw it away. But the real problem with doing this is you're going to confuse your mail carrier & local post office. And most direct mailers don't bother with address corrections, 'cause they're probably buying your name from a list broker like Expedian, and letting them handle all the list management.

Don't ask me how I know about this bullshit.

I don't have the time for such hijinks with direct mail, but if you do send back the business reply envelopes, it's costing the direct mailer a minimum of $0.47 per piece (more if you fill it up with sheets of paper etc. and raise the weight above 1 oz.).

If you write "no longer at this address" on the piece and put it back in your mailbox, one of 2 things is going to happen, assuming it's been mailed at Standard/Bulk Mail Rates: (1) if they've stamped "address correction requested" on the envelope, they'll get it back and be charged $0.70, or (2) if they haven't put such an endorsement on the piece, the USPS will throw it away. But the real problem with doing this is you're going to confuse your mail carrier & local post office. And most direct mailers don't bother with address corrections, 'cause they're probably buying your name from a list broker like Expedian, and letting them handle all the list management.

The direct mailer *should* absorb the cost - they're the ones sending out unsolicited bullshit in the first place.