Napoleon Dynamite

EWolfe

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw this movie not stoned last night thumbs_down.gif sorry guys kept waiting for it to get funny. decided it could only be funny if i was.

dodgeball was surprisingly good dumb funny though.

The crux of enjoying this movie is whether you can identify with the main character or not. If you have never had nunchucks in your locker at highschool or fed a llama ham, you might not find it that enjoyable.

I too have to give Dodgeball a thumbs_up.gif. "Here at Globo Gym, we're better than you, and we know it!" When are the Oscars?

Thanks to the magic of my all-time favorite website (imdb.com), I was able to learn that Jon Heder (N.D.) went to my high school (South Salem High, in lovely Salem, OR).

Perhaps the finest talent my school has ever produced...

Edited by gslater

A friend lent me the movie and its actually pretty decent. I can wholly relate to the scenarios depicted. Fun, sad, and rewarding as a whole.

But after a little googling I found that some folks take it to a whole other level.

"Napoleon was Mormon"

Exerpt from the main post replies:

Woah buddy! You definitely need to calm down. I am Mormon, and the only religious connotation I found in this was the Ricks College T-shirt. I actually didn't even know it had anything to do with Mormonism (besides the Ricks College T-shirt) until I read on this website that Jon Heder was Mormon. ..... I found their alternate "swear words" amusing because I went to BYU-Idaho and some people (mainly from Idaho and Utah) talk like that. But you have it all wrong about the polygamy stuff. For your information, polygamy has not been practiced in our religion for a very long time. It is now against our beliefs and if anyone who calls themself Mormon and practices polygamy they are not only breaking the law (which is against our beliefs because we believe in being law-abiding citizens) but they would be ex-communicated, which means kicked out. Hence, they wouldn't be Mormon anymore. And I don't see how you can come down on Napoleon and Kip for living with their grandmother. You make it seem like they are the only people who come from non-traditional families. So I find that comment ridiculous also. ALSO, I found nothing of the sort of Mormonism being "shoved down the masses throats." I think I would notice religious connotations before someone not familiar with Mormonism. Are you saying that whoever is watching this movie doesn't have the choice of shutting the movie off if they don't like it? I know that's what most people would do. I also think it's ridiculous that you think we need to protect those who cannot protect themselves from this harmless movie. If I wanted to shove my religion down someone's throat I would make them watch actual church produced movies and force them to read the Book of Mormon. That would be forceful. Like someone posted before, YOU are definitely the one who needs to pull your head out of your arse and seriously calm down because you are totally over reacting!!! And by the way, I am a woman and I know that my religion doesn't degrade me or anyone else of the same sex as me. So once again, chill out buddy, no need for conspiracy theories about this one.

Skoal, your post has the be the most idiotic thing i have ever seen. First off the movie itself has very little premise besides the whole "every dog has his day" theme in the end. But Anti Sematic?! Pologomy?! I could maybe understand the whole degrading women thing with the part where the Rex guy is choking the girl while saying "the wisdom of man" But buddy, u needa lighten up.

PS- Nothing was crammed down anyones throat in this movie, in fact probly the one thing that was slightly even offensive is when that Summer girl said she didnt wanna eat chimmychangas for lunch (reffering to pedro)

But hey w/e ill be awaiting ur rebbutle with proof of such displays of antisematism and pologomy from the movie.

fruit.gif

Even the liger has roots in growing up in the Mormon west...the liger was a real half-lion half-tiger that actually lived for many years at the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, and is well known to legions of Mormon kids who went to Hogle Zoo on field trips. After it died it was stuffed and mounted and is still on display at the zoo.

shocked.gif