American Alpine Club Members

hollyclimber

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure attitude? I was always under the impression the AAJ and Accidents covered the year before or the Federal fiscal year (ending June 30th) or something like that. I talked with AAC and they said that the members should receive their books by end of Oct. I explained my dissatisfaction for members receiving the books after stores and that id they wanted my money next year, then I don't expect to see the journals and books out on shelves before they are in my mailbox. Non-profits aren't supposed to slack like Rock n' Ice Mag now are they?

[ 10-16-2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: ryland moore ]

quote:

Originally posted by Attitude:

Accidents has been at REI for a month or so. Does anyone know the time frame that each book covers? It's not calendar year (Jan - Dec), since one of this year's incidents is in the new book.

I covers the calendar year for the previous year; So ANAM 2002 covers accidents in 2001.

quote:

Originally posted by iammo:

Is that the only reason that you joined the AAC, to get the journals? The biggest climber advocacy group in the nation doesn't need your money then, with an attitude like that.

I'd be careful about calling the AAC the "biggest climber advocacy group" in the nation - the access fund (no longer part of the AAC) does much more for climbing than the AAC's watered down statements and caving, especially at a local level.

I agree with Ryland that members should receive the journal before, or close to the time stores do - it is after all, supposed to be a journal for the members of activities in the mountaineering world. As you can tell - I haven't received mine.

[ 10-16-2002, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

I say 'biggest' in regards to number of members, but please correct me if I am wrong on that. I am fully aware of the missions of both groups, being a member of both (probably one of the few people on this site that is). I assume you will receive your journal (not Accidents) before it is in stores. The AAC is a business like any other and they can't sit on one finished book just because the other is not ready.

Basically I say, give them a break. We need all the climber advocacy we can get.

quote:

Originally posted by iammo:

I assume you will receive your journal (not Accidents) before it is in stores. The AAC is a business like any other and they can't sit on one finished book just because the other is not ready.

I'm willing to give them a break, they're a small outfit, and nice folks. However, Amazon.com has listed the '02 journal as in stock & shipping in 1-2 days for several weeks now.

Carl

I bet it cause they havent shipped yet. ANAM 2002 has been outfor months but AAJ 2002 not yet. I bet it is late this year cause it the first year with John Harlin III as editor after the AAJ Putsch where Beckwith was dumped in a bloody coup.

I am a member of both and agree that AAC has its place. Although I do not think they do nearly as much as AF. I am a member of AAC for the journal and Accidents, but mainly b/c of insurance. I am a Director of a non-profit (So is AAC) and they should not run like a business, b/c they are not one. They rely on grants and supporters like you and I and if they want to remain an organization who lives on their supporters, then they need to treat their supporters just like a business would treat its investors - as a top priority. Yeah, people may buy their books at REI once or twice, but their bread and butter comes from those who will be with them for the long haul. If we do not support them, they do not exist. Sorry if it came off with an atitude, just if I am going to give my money to an organization I believe in, I expect that they continue to uphold my expectations. If they were going to come out late with something that is part of annual membership dues, then they could have at least sent something out in their newsletter about this. My two cents.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I bet it cause they havent shipped yet. ANAM 2002 has been outfor months but AAJ 2002 not yet. I bet it is late this year cause it the first year with John Harlin III as editor after the AAJ Putsch where Beckwith was dumped in a bloody coup.

Publication date for the journal is September 2002 on Amazon.com - ships in 1-2 days.

Publication date on Bn.com is August 2002 - ships in 3-4 days.

Publication date on buy.com is 9/1/2002 - ships in 24-48 hours.

Well those same sources advertised a book I was hoping to buy as coming out in 2001 and the author has not, to this date, even finished writing it yet! [Roll Eyes] They want you to buy it so they will say it ships now even if it is not available yet, just so you order it from them.

This is the second year in a row that they are late in publishing and sending the books. Last year they sent a letter and emails out to members. I agree they could have notified the members. All they had to do was dust off last year's letters and change the dates...

[ 10-18-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: ehmmic ]

One of our Cascade Section members alerted me to these concerns about Accidents and the AAJ. Let me clarify.

Both books report about events that occurred in the preceding year. Thus, AAJ 2002 covers climbs and expeditions that occurred in 2001, while Accidents 2002 covers accidents reported in 2001. Occasionally there are exceptions, but this is the general rule.

Because mailing books is quite expensive, we mail the membership publications once when both books are back from the printer. Historically this occurred in late July or early August, but the Journal has been late the past few years. For example, this year Accidents arrived in August, while the Journal didn't show up until around October 1. If you're familiar with both books, you'll easily understand how much more complicated the Journal is to produce and how it tends to take longer to assemble and usually runs into greater printing delays.

We alerted members who subscribe to the AAC E-News in July and August that the books would be coming in the fall, but not all members are on this service. The books are in the mail and should be arriving soon. We use August 1 as the cutoff date for books each year so that members are always assured of receiving one set of membership publications each year even if the books deliver late.

I hope this answers the various questions raised in these posts. If you have questions about the status of books or other membership benefits, the best way to get an answer is to contact us directly at getinfo@americanalpineclub.org or by phone at (303) 384-0110.

Lloyd Athearn, Deputy Director

and, generally in the publishing arena, big book houses usually get their print allotment of books before small stores or the people who put it out do, has to do with them wanting to leverage independant booksellers out of business. Also, I think John H. was telling me about taking the editorship at a later date than usual or having to scramble on the project or something otherwise odd like that last summer .