Mountaineering Stories

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Endurance. Alfred Lansing.

Will put things into perspective about what is and isn't an epic.

Has anyone visited Sir Ernest's grave? Or touched the James Caird in London?

Nope, but I saw a sweet documentary on this a couple of years ago. I think it's also called "Endurance". Definitely the most amazing survival story I've ever heard.

Nope, but I saw a sweet documentary on this a couple of years ago. I think it's also called "Endurance". Definitely the most amazing survival story I've ever heard.

A somewhat grimmer footnote to this story is the fact that after making it through this grueling ordeal and returning to england, many of the men ended up in the military (WWI was in full swing by this point). something like half the survivors of shackleton's epic were dead by the end of the war. maybe they'd used up all their luck?

as for book recommendations, i recently found in the used bookstore Everest: The West Ridge and The White Spider . The first is a counterpoint to the "official" book from the first american ascent of everest - tom hornbien and willie unsoeld did their dutiful part on that traditional expedition, and then after the flag was raised, ran off and made the first ascent of the west ridge, a much more difficult objective, along the way achieving the first traverse of everest and the world's highest open bivy. The white spider is an account of the history of the north face of the eiger. A little stiff - translated from german - but pretty gripping stuff.