mmmmmmmmmmm..........healthy

minx

i'm shocked these aren't already on the McDonald's dessert menu.

tasty treat

Deep-fried Mars bar taking Scotland by storm

Thu Dec 16, 9:45 AM ET

PARIS (AFP) - The deep-fried Mars bar, a nutritionist's nightmare that surfaced in Scotland about a decade ago, is now an established part of the Scottish culinary scene, according to a letter published in The Lancet.

Dipped in batter and then cooked in hot oil, the Mars bar is now on sale in more than a fifth of Scotland's 627 fish-and-chip shops, it says.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep-fried Mars Bars

submitted by Martin in Scotland

OK, so hailing from Scotland this is not strictly White Trash, but it surely deserves an honourary place in this section. (Scotland has the deadliest diet in Europe, and many Scots would reject White Trash delicacies like Tuna Casserole as effete health food fit only for dieters and invalids). The Deep-fried Mars bar was born in the chip shops of Aberdeen and the surrounding fishing towns, where people paradoxically rarely eat fish (too good for you) and where absolutely everything is dipped in batter and fried, including pizza. Mars bars, which in the UK are actually like the American Milky Way, were the first to get the treatment, but Snickers and other chocolate bars are now used too.

Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 1

Ingredients:

* 1 Mars Bar (UK) or Milky Way (US)

* 1 cup plain flour

* 1/2 cup corn flour

* A pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda to Yanks)

* Milk or beer

* Oil for deep frying

Directions:

Chill the chocolate bar by keeping it in the fridge, but don't freeze it.

Mix the flours and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) together.

Add milk (traditional) or beer (which gives a lighter result) until you get a batter with the consistency of thin cream.

Heat the oil until a small piece of bread will brown in a few seconds, but don't allow to smoke.

Remove wrapper from chilled chocolate bar. Coat completely in batter. Carefully lower into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Serve, with ice cream or french fries, if you're so inclined.

(Of course, if you want to be sophisticated, you can cut the bar into bite-sized pieces before coating in batter.)

American chocolate bars are among the world's worst. One sign of this is the way Americans call them "Candy bars" as if recognizing there is nothing that can truly be called chocolate in them.

{this is my entry in this weeks Post Like Catbirdseat contest)

Soo.. are our canadian bars the same shit? I don't really like chocolate bars much anymore, maybe that's why. I buy that Lindt bar sometimes, and I like that. Is milky way good choclolate? That was my favorite as a kid, but that's quite a while ago...

What kinda bar could we get here that we could apply that recipe too and approximate what is apparently so popular elsewhere?

Okay, The Rooster overgeneralized a bit. But I was not going "trendy", and it always seemed I was forced to choose from a selection of nasty meat pies and aging sandwiches festering under a heatlamp inside one of those "serve yourself" glass boxes, a-la cafeteria style.

Barf! hellno3d.gif

Be better peckin' shit with the chickens.

American chocolate bars are among the world's worst. One sign of this is the way Americans call them "Candy bars" as if recognizing there is nothing that can truly be called chocolate in them.

{this is my entry in this weeks Post Like Catbirdseat contest)

English chocolate is vile and disgusting, as is their other candy. I'll take an American candy bar over the English s**t any day...

Okay, The Rooster overgeneralized a bit. But I was not going "trendy", and it always seemed I was forced to choose from a selection of nasty meat pies and aging sandwiches festering under a heatlamp inside one of those "serve yourself" glass boxes, a-la cafeteria style.

Ahh I remember seeing many an installation such as this in the pub - I didn't dilute my bigdrink.gif with food.

English chocolate is vile and disgusting, as is their other candy. I'll take an American candy bar over the English s**t any day...

Not to mention their breakfast cereals. Ever had Wheetabix? A visit to the bathroom after eating a bowl of that makes you feel like you're baling hay.

Not to mention their breakfast cereals. Ever had Wheetabix? A visit to the bathroom after eating a bowl of that makes you feel like you're baling hay.

Fortunately not... and I haven't tried "spotted dick" either. tongue.gif