Monkey Face Question

fenderfour

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fender4, don't bother with aider and all that aid crap. The bolts are close enough to french free it. It goes really quick. Also those lower pitch are alright, turns in to a real climb, otherwise it is two short micro pitches one french free and an awesome 5.7 pitch.

Like NOLSe said, do the variation (West Face Variation) but do the variation of that (13a I think???) that makes it a .7 and then a nice long .8 taking a more direct line to Bohn Street. I haven't done it either but the Panic Point variation goes up and right directly to the summit after the first couple of bolts on the regular pitch.

As others have said, that West Face Variation replaces the 1st forgettable pitch of Pioneer Route (c. 5.5) with nice 2 or 3 pitches of .7-.8 climbing. Much more fun option! The Variation itself has like 4 or 5 variations in Watts book. Have done 2 of those, the "13" (3P to Bohn) and "13a" (2P to Bohn). "13a" has better climbing and avoids the horrendous rope drag on P2 of "13". "13" has only one move that could qalify as an .8 (starting P3 you have to move up onto the traverse slab). The best part of "13" is that you can get some awsome shots of your second doing the traverse as you're looking down from Bohn st.

French freeing that bolt ladder would be "interesting" - the A0 pitch starts vertical and goes overhangning near the top. Bolts are all shiney new (though there was some mention on the boards that one of them popped out last fall). This seems like the ideal place to get a first taste of very easy aiding.

Have not done the 5.8 bolted variation to Panic Point pitch. I'd imagine it would be stellar - you get all the benefits of the standard Panic Point pitch but replace the forgettable low 5th scramble above with a super exposed face climb (this BTW is called Monkey Off My Back).

There's got to be a million TR's on the web on the Pioneer route and half a million on west face variation smile.gif Couple examples:

http://www.mountainwerks.org/mwp/climbing/smithrock.htm (nice photos of pioneer route)

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/1695 (pioneer and w. face var. photos)

http://www.dingomt.com/SmithRock/MonkeyFace/monkey.htm (pioneer route)

http://smithrock.com/flash/routeupdates/monkey_back.html (monkey off my back)

Enjoy.

Hey Fender4, don't bother with aider and all that aid crap. The bolts are close enough to french free it. It goes really quick. Also those lower pitch are alright, turns in to a real climb, otherwise it is two short micro pitches one french free and an awesome 5.7 pitch.

Have you actual done this? What is your ape index? wazzup.gif

Like NOLSe said, do the variation (West Face Variation) but do the variation of that (13a I think???) that makes it a .7 and then a nice long .8 taking a more direct line to Bohn Street. I haven't done it either but the Panic Point variation goes up and right directly to the summit after the first couple of bolts on the regular pitch.

What is 13? The PP variation? I heard it was 5.8... confused.gif

Route #13a in the guidebook you numberchasing grade monkey hahaha.gif

Doesn't everyone do it this way? It takes like 5 minutes. And I have a -1" ape index boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Route #13a in the guidebook you numberchasing grade monkey hahaha.gif

Ahhh... route number... not grade. Need... more... coffee.

Doesn't everyone do it this way? It takes like 5 minutes. And I have a -1" ape index boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

I have a +6 HCL.gif to shoe size. boxing_smiley.gif

Just nail your way up the East Face crack. I heard 2" angles work real good.

Dru you really do stir the shit pot once in a while eh? Must be feeling quite contrary today.

I've done it the East side couple of times with strictly nuts, RP's to @ big wireds. I would expect that with Trango brassie offsets (I still long to own a set of these) and aliens or Metolious 3 cam units (I finally bought a set) it would be fairly cush clean aid. Bolts were added up top for the free climbers, so the crux is now the first 30 feet off the deck if aided IMO. Besides, you won't ground from the 2nd pitch, but 1st pitch, hmmmm, could happen real easy.

There are some @ 3/4 angle slots which are real tricky to nut up high, which I suspect an alien or TCU would be wicked strong in.

Far as that goes, ballnutz and perhaps even cam hooks would be sweet and undoubedly lessen the grade right off the deck too (speculation, I don't know for sure).

If you do Pioneer, take aiders and a cheater stick. You might or might not need the stick, but you can ask Ivan about all that.

I would expect that with Trango brassie offsets (I still long to own a set of these) and aliens or Metolious 3 cam units (I finally bought a set) it would be fairly cush clean aid.

Far as that goes, ballnutz and perhaps even cam hooks would be sweet and undoubedly lessen the grade right off the deck too.

Yup. If you want to nail go do Bubba's.

If you decide to "go do Bubbas", bring a cheat stick for the second pitch. A crucial hook move blew out on me last winter on the bolted traverse, it needs a bolt unless you're very good at nailing mud...straight up! 3 feet with a hook on the end will work. What kind of a joker would use hangers like those?

Yes I have and my ape index is -1 if I am lucky. I think I may have skipped a bolt or two. There is probably some better lines around that would be better practice aiding, than the Pioneer Route, it is a great route but doesn't really give you a feel for aid. Oh yeah enjoy the rap, a wild 200 foot free hanging rap, the most exciting part of the climb.