The monkeys aren't too thrilled about you either

foraker

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article. I never quite understood why so many people take the text of the Bible so literally. After all, even the newest parts are thousands of years old and translated 3 or 4 times, sometimes well, sometimes poorly, no document is going to survive that in an absolutely pure form. Science in no way negates religion, or negates the divine. As memory serves, the Pope also gave scientists his blessing to research anything up the point of the Big Bang. While the Catholic church may be a little dogmatic in some instances, I can at least respect that a huge amount of thought, prayer, and consideration have gone into every last aspect of their doctrine. Much more than I can say about a lot of organizations.

now i'm just rambling so i'll stop cheeburga_ron.gif

Basically what you do is this. You find some flaws or inconsistencies with a strong theory. So even though you don't have a competing theory that is better supported by data and experimentation, you discredit the strong theory and adopt what is essentially a Fairy Tale. Makes sense.

The article I linked to does nothing of the sort. You're spouting off a bunch of BS.

Nice article. I never quite understood why so many people take the text of the Bible so literally. After all, even the newest parts are thousands of years old and translated 3 or 4 times, sometimes well, sometimes poorly, no document is going to survive that in an absolutely pure form. Science in no way negates religion, or negates the divine. As memory serves, the Pope also gave scientists his blessing to research anything up the point of the Big Bang. While the Catholic church may be a little dogmatic in some instances, I can at least respect that a huge amount of thought, prayer, and consideration have gone into every last aspect of their doctrine. Much more than I can say about a lot of organizations.

The supposed "war" between religion and science is overstated. Those on the side of atheism find comfort in pointing out the ignorance of "creationists" and painting all people of faith with this broad brush-stroke. In reality, there are many people of faith who find that science and religion can coexist and are not necessarily mutually-exclusive. Scientists who think that science somehow answers all the questions about life and its purpose are just as ignorant as the most instranigent creationist.

A Guy walks into a bar with his pet monkey. He orders a drink and while he's drinking, the monkey jumps all around the place.

The monkey grabs some olives off the bar and eats them. Then he grabs some sliced limes eats them, then jumps onto the pool table, grabs one of the billiard balls, sticks it in his mouth, and to everyone's amazement, somehow swallows it whole. The bartender screams at the guy,

"Did you see what your monkey just did?"

"No, what?"

"He just ate the cue ball off my pool table whole!"

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied the guy, "he eats everything in sight, the little bum. Sorry. I'll pay for the cue ball and stuff." He finishes his drink, pays his bill, pays for the stuff the monkey ate, then leaves.

Two weeks later he's in the bar again, and has his monkey with him. He orders a drink and the monkey starts running around the bar again. While the man is finishing his drink, the monkey finds a maraschino cherry on the bar. He grabs it, sticks it up his butt, pulls it out, and eats it. Then the monkey finds a peanut, and again sticks it up his butt, pulls it out, and eats it.

The bartender is disgusted.

"Did you see what your monkey did now?" He asks.

"No, what?" replied the man.

"Well, he stuck a maraschino cherry and a peanut up his butt, pulled it out, and ate it!" said the bartender.

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied the guy. "He still eats everything in sight, but ever since he had to pass that cue ball, he measures everything first."

The supposed "war" between religion and science is overstated. Those on the side of atheism find comfort in pointing out the ignorance of "creationists" and painting all people of faith with this broad brush-stroke. In reality, there are many people of faith who find that science and religion can coexist and are not necessarily mutually-exclusive. Scientists who think that science somehow answers all the questions about life and its purpose are just as ignorant as the most instranigent creationist.

Agreed, there are people on both sides who are ridgid and locked in their own mindsets, and believe anyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong. Maybe we should just ban all people incapable of independant thought and analysis from the gene pool. Then they wouldn't be able to infect their spawn with their ridgid mindsets the_finger.gif

Either that or just remove warning labels from things like toothpaste. If you can kill yourself with toothpaste you shouldn't have kids. grin.gif

Was it Plato or Socrates? among many good words to live by

"The unexamined life is unfit to be lived by man."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

GIVE UP PEOPLE. NO RATIONAL DISCUSSION CAN BE HAD WHEN IT COMES TO THE TOPIC OF RELIGION.

Edited by minx

I think that's the point. Religion is based on faith, not logic. Science is based on fact and logic.

Creationism is not science, it is religion, and has no place in the teaching of science. I teacher friend left her job in a small town outside Wenatchee because she was forced to stop teaching evolution. WTF? rolleyes.gif

Basically what you do is this. You find some flaws or inconsistencies with a strong theory. So even though you don't have a competing theory that is better supported by data and experimentation, you discredit the strong theory and adopt what is essentially a Fairy Tale. Makes sense.

1) Turn off auto-rheto-sprayer

2) Read the article

3) Make your comment

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

GIVE UP PEOPLE. NO RATIONAL DISCUSSION CAN BE HAD WHEN IT COMES TO THE TOPIC OF RELIGION.

I think you are quite mistaken but it seems clear that you are rather emotional about the subject. Care to divulge why?

I think that's the point. Religion is based on faith, not logic. Science is based on fact and logic.

Creationism is not science, it is religion, and has no place in the teaching of science. I teacher friend left her job in a small town outside Wenatchee because she was forced to stop teaching evolution. WTF? rolleyes.gif

1) Creationism is not = to Christianity.

2) Science does not = Evolution.

3) There is no inherent lack of compatibility between Christianity and Evolution. You are entirely misinformed if you feel this is the case. Since you are a scinetist, I would figure you would research befoer making statments about which you know nothing.

I think you are quite mistaken but it seems clear that you are rather emotional about the subject. Care to divulge why?

no

3) There is no inherent lack of compatibility between Christianity and Evolution. You are entirely misinformed if you feel this is the case. Since you are a scinetist, I would figure you would research befoer making statments about which you know nothing.

If you interpret the bible literally there is a substantial compatibility issue; many of the groups objecting to evolution hold just such a view.