Banff Film Fest stink-up

glassgowkiss

During the last Banff Film Festival the "grand prize" went to polish film by Jerzy Surdel "Odwrot" (Retreat). This film was done in 1967 in the Tatra Mountains. The copy of the film was submitted by Alex Bertulis of Seattle, who claims to spend roughly $10 000 for saving the last copy of the film. He also supposedly submitted this “unknown” film, as the director (Jerzy Surdel) was dead. This film won the main prize of the renowned festival and Alex Bertulis received the prize.

This immediately raised stink in Polish climbing community for several reasons. For one Jerzy Surdel is not dead- he is alive and well and divides his time between Poland and Switzerland. Second “Odrwot” (Retreat) wasn’t so unknown, since it received one of the main prizes in Trento Film Festival in 1969. Since that time this film was shown during several more screenings throughout Europe.

Even more surprising is the fact that Mr. Bertulis claims to spend large sum of money for saving one of the last copies of the film. This film can be purchased from Polish film archives in Warszawa for 2700 PLN (about 800 USD) for a copy in 35 mm version and for much less in 16 mm version and for about 60 USD for a DVD disc.

Since this whole issue started representatives of Banff Film Festival were contacted by Jerzy Surdel and other members of the Polish climbing community. The response to put it mildly was rather meager. So far nobody issued any formal apology to Mr. Surdel for infringement of the copyrights, nor nobody compensated him for that matter.

Also Mr. Bertulis did not comment on this whole issue either. Some of the people I talked to in the past few weeks and myself would like to find out what motivated him to take such course of action and why Banff Film Festival did not do their “due diligence” before this year’s show.

I will try to update this story as it develops.

P.S. Mr. Surdel was quite surprised when his email box was swamped with mail from people congratulating him the sucess of this film.

Edited by glassgowkiss

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the "grand prize"? Is it a monetary award or a plaque or trophy or something? How does the amount claimed to have been put toward "saving" it have any bearing on anything unless he was compensated for that expense? Perhaps the film was put through a serious restoration where an original copy was cleaned/restored frame by frame to yield a higher quality than the cheap ones currently available?

Where is the copyright infringement? Is the BMFF selling copies of the film now? Other than holding a screening(s) of the film, how specifically is there a copyright issue?

Any particular reason why the producer Surdel never submitted the film himself? I mean he's had what, over thirty-five years/chances to submit it?

There are alot of questions.

at a minimum Mr Bertulis needs to contact Mr Surdel.

He should prolly share the prize $ too.

It's weird that he went through so much work but didn't try to get ahold of the guy...

share the prize???? now what in the hell did he do to deserve this? he had NOTHING to do with this movie at all. if he took upon himself on "restoring" this film too bad. and just because his copy needed restoration didn't mean the film needed restoration. as i wrote anyone can buy this film in a 35 mm version for about 800 USD and such copy is made directly from the master.

"So what is the "grand prize"? Is it a monetary award or a plaque or trophy or something?"

as far as i know the prize was somewhere in 4 000 CAN neighbourhood

"How does the amount claimed to have been put toward "saving" it have any bearing on anything unless he was compensated for that expense? Perhaps the film was put through a serious restoration where an original copy was cleaned/restored frame by frame to yield a higher quality than the cheap ones currently available?"

The copies aviable from Polish archives are made of the master copy and are aviable in 35 mm (it's the size of films hown in theaters). As far as director of the film is concerned there was no need to restore anything at this point. This film was made on b/w negative and was also shown in black and white in Banff.

"Where is the copyright infringement?"

the fim was shown without Mr Surdel's conscent or knowledge. Mr Bertulis claimed Mr Surdel is dead.

"Is the BMFF selling copies of the film now? Other than holding a screening(s) of the film, how specifically is there a copyright issue?"

do not know this either. but BMFF is charging admissions during thier screenings both in Bellingham and in Seattle.

"Any particular reason why the producer Surdel never submitted the film himself? I mean he's had what, over thirty-five years/chances to submit it?"

maybe he did not feel the need to do so. this film is 37 years old. it did receive several prizes, Trento included.

Mr Surdel is retired at this point. the question is why should he submitt? i don't see how relevant this question is at all.

"There are alot of questions."

no the matter is simple- BFF did not do thier homework. they made a huge mistake and they are not issuing an apology.

Edited by glassgowkiss

oh yeah, now we should start making black market copies of american movies and show them in poland too moon.gifmadgo_ron.gif- would be cheaper for us too

oh yeah btw i have the last copy of "masters of stone"- i bet i can "restore" it and show it in krakow during the film festival and receive the prize,!!!

you are missing the point.

Edited by glassgowkiss

Festival Media Releases:

From Google Cache:

Forgotten Polish film takes Grand Prize at Banff Mountain Film Festival

A film made 35 years ago at a Polish film school has taken the Grand Prize at this year’s Banff Mountain Film Festival. Odwrót (Retreat) recreates an anonymous climber’s epic solo descent in the wake of a mountaineering accident. Produced in 1967 by director Jerzy Surdel at the Lódz Film School in Poland, and filmed in black and white in the Tatra Mountains, Odwrót follows the climber’s desperate retreat to find help for his injured partner. “Impeccable directing and editing create a film of poetic ambiguity,” says film festival jury member Liam Lacey. Fellow jury member Mike Libecki describes Odwrót as “timeless and irreproducible.”

The sole copy of Odwrót was rescued from obscurity by Seattle architect Alex Bertulis. Over the past year and a half, he spent $10,000 to restore the film. “This film deserves to be recognized as a classic, and as an inspiration to young filmmakers of what can be accomplished when you have a powerful story, even on a limited budget,” says Bertulis. The Grand Prize award is co-sponsored by Mountain Equipment Co-op and Suunto.

REVISED November 30, 2004

Forgotten Polish film takes Grand Prize at Banff Mountain Film Festival

A film made 36 years ago at a Polish film school has taken the Grand Prize at this year’s Banff Mountain Film Festival. Odwrót (Retreat) recreates an anonymous climber’s epic solo descent in the wake of a mountaineering accident. Produced in 1968 by director Jerzy Surdel at the National College of Theatre and Film in Lódz, Poland, and filmed in black and white in the Tatra Mountains, Odwrót follows the climber’s desperate retreat to find help for his injured partner. “Impeccable directing and editing create a film of poetic ambiguity,” says film festival jury member Liam Lacey. Fellow jury member Mike Libecki describes Odwrót as “timeless and irreproducible.” The Grand Prize award is co-sponsored by Mountain Equipment Co-op and Suunto.

I would guess that Alex made an honest mistake and now feels a bit silly. Certainly he wasn’t out for the prize money and he wasn’t trying to steal the creative credit for the film. Are you suggesting something underhanded or mean spirited was involved?

I do think that their modified release is lame.

Edited by Peter_Puget

Well, it does in fact take money and effort to restore a 35 year old film. Are you saying that in fact it wasn't Bertulis that did this?

Do you know in fact that the BMFF staff were unaware of the film's origins? It didn't seem that way when it was presented, but maybe I was drunk.

Do you know for sure that Surdel owns the rights to this film? Often, the artist, particularly at school, doesn't retain the rights to their works. Seems like someone is trying to make a big deal where one doesn't exist.

But maybe I'm drunk.

Anyway, it is a fun film to watch from a climber's perspective, though the professional vidiots I was hanging with thought it sucked.

Banff Film Festival was made aware of the problem within days after the end of the festival. So far they did not issue a public apology. Even more I had a chance to talk to people involved and their last couple of contacts were rather on a chilly side.

Yes Surdel owns rights to the movie.

I don't know why even the restoration is an issue people discuss here. First of all there was no need for restoration since a 35 mm copy is aviable form the archives and such copy is made from a master copy.

It's obvious to me that BFF was not aware of the whole issue. But on the other hand the deadline for submitting films is early september (I think). So there was over 2 months period to screen the movies and do the legwork. IMO BFF dropped the ball and now they are even not willing to admit about the whole issue. Being anaware of the situation doesn't release a person or an organization from the liability.

It is a big deal, since BFF infriges on someone's copy rights and are not even trying to sweap the whole matter under a rug

Sounds like a simple case of not conducting due diligence. Alex finds this film in his Dad's attic or was scammed by some antiques dealer, buying the farm or jumping to conclusions, wastes $10,000 on a 35 mm film he can purchase completely clean and new for $800, then throws his story out there thinking it to be true. He did not do his research and neither did BMFF. It is both of their faults and one I am sure they will learn from. It doesn't sound like there was any ill intentions, just lack of due diligence and communication. Makes them look bad and disorganized, but not mean spirited.

There are graceful ways for Mr. Bertulis to handle these matters if he were simply unaware of the otherwise existence of the film.

It's not uncommon in technical fields to do research, only to discover after getting it published, that your results were indeed published in an obscure conference by others.

But I don't know both sides of the story.

As for BMFF's position. If they're getting shit from both parties, then they're going to take the least inflammatory course of action, which will likely involve a lot of keeping their mouths shut.

Bertulis is far more at fault than the film festival -- at least initially.

The BMFF cannot be expected to research the orgins of every entry made to their festival. There is a level of trust there for those who submit films. On the other hand, the fact that Bertulis did not do his homework here is somewhat unforgivable.

As was stated above, I don't think this was a malicious thing that Bertulis did. Instead, it was an ignorant thing. Not confirming the filmmaker's death and taking the prize money is not excusable. I believe that if the BMFF doesn't make amends with the original filmmaker, then it is up to Bertulis.

On that note, though I don't believe that the BMFF is responsible for this oversight. I do believe that they should apologize and possibly even take the award back. Though it may have been an oversight, it's still wrong.

Jason

ok I did more reading. so here it goes. According to Elzbieta Lipowska from Calgary (she picked up Bertulis from the airport in Calgary and drove him to Banff) Bertulis knew before the festival that Surdel was alive.

Bertulis obtained his copy of this film in Poland before December 13 1981. Initially he thought Surdel was dead, instead of Kalinkiewicz- cameramen. Anyhow, fact of the matter is that while receiving the award he was perfectly aware of the fact, that director of the movie is alive and well.

It is still beyond my understanding why organizers of the festival did not confirm the fact of Surdel's death nor they invited him for the ceremony. Also the fact that Bertulis accepted the award is completly bogus and ill intentioned.

I just finished conversation with someone from Calgary, who is dealing with this whole matter. In January there is going to be "Best of BMFF 2004" showing in Clagary. Guess what? Odwrot will not be shown. I wonder why "grand Prize" film is not shown?

So far Alex Bertulis did not respond in any form. Nor did really BMFF.