Scarpa Phantom Ice boots (built in crampons)

SnowByrd

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowbyrd, what's up with all the ridiculous questions?? You just linked to a page that says

The Phantom Ice by Scarpa is an example of a boot/crampon hybrid. It was developed from the Ice Climbing World Cup, for use on ice, mixed and drytooling routes.
wazzup.gif

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, QUIT BEING STUPID!!!

Yummy smile.gif Likely not good for your typical glacier / alpine travel unless you carry them in your pack as you would rock shoes.

But to go trash on waterfall ice and practice drytooling, and save the nicer alpine boots for alpine, why not?

And don't forget that these could help you solve issues in meetings when you need to look serious threatening to kick ass.

drC

Snowbyrd, what's up with all the ridiculous questions?? You just linked to a page that says
The Phantom Ice by Scarpa is an example of a boot/crampon hybrid. It was developed from the Ice Climbing World Cup, for use on ice, mixed and drytooling routes.
wazzup.gif

Don't be an anus, Cracked. I am soliciting opinions for a friend who thinks he wants a pair. Do you buy gear just because the advertisement says you should? Well...maybe you do....but my question was, "ARE THEY PRACTICAL?" Or...is it just another pair of boots for the Emelda Marcos of climbing gear to spend his money on. wave.gif

I tried these on at the ROI sale in Vancouver on Friday. For $50, I almost bought them for a joke. They were definitely comfortable, but not all that practical unless you're a comp climber or seriously into mixed.

However, if your friend needs new crampons and new boots just for ice climbing, then these might be a good option, assuming that whoever is selling them doesn't crank the price up to near their retail value (guessing C$600-700).

wazzup.gif

Don't be an anus, Cracked. I am soliciting opinions for a friend who thinks he wants a pair. Do you buy gear just because the advertisement says you should? Well...maybe you do....but my question was, "ARE THEY PRACTICAL?" Or...is it just another pair of boots for the Emelda Marcos of climbing gear to spend his money on. wave.gif

What specific questions did your friend have? Did they use the words: "are they practical" or was that you?

Is he/she climbing double digit M lines?

But to go trash on waterfall ice and practice drytooling, and save the nicer alpine boots for alpine, why not?

Mixed: yes. WI: no.

Interesting. Why would say no for WI? Given that the boots were specifically designed for ice comps, it sounds like it should be an application.

drC

Think of those boots as high performance sport climbing slippers... should you get a pair you would fit them to maximize the sensitivity and performance they offer... snug. After a few weekends on free range water ice your boots would be too big as they would have to clip all your frost bitten toes off.

Ice comps generally involve heated isolation rooms stocked with all the red bull and coffee you can drink... a place you can afford to change boots are your leisure and not risk frost bite.

Finally (and this is just my 2 cents) IMO unless it is slow forming WI (homogeneous) you're going to want dual points anyways...

Just out of curiosity... how much WI have you climbed? And what kind of boots do you wear? My leathers pull double duty: ice/mixed and alpine and I'm not trashing them in 1 season which I think is the original reason you gave... save your boots for the alpine.

If you'd size them as rock shoes, the toes argument definitely makes sense. Those boots actually come with dual points (and one can get rid of the heelp spur too; given how stiff I am I won't be heel-hooking anything anytime soon smile.gif), so they would work for regular WI I'd wager.

I just got a pair of Freney XT for alpine and ice, actually, so I am just curious about these. They're outrageous and overkill, but really cheap (most likely because they're outrageous and overkill); a cheap pair of boots to kill is better than an expensive pair of boots to kill, even over a few seasons. Now a cheap pair of boots that won't work is still too expensive which is why I am asking for opinions. (Really, SnowByrd took on her to ask, but I'm interested tongue.gif.)

drC

Just out of curiosity... how much WI have you climbed? And what kind of boots do you wear? My leathers pull double duty: ice/mixed and alpine and I'm not trashing them in 1 season which I think is the original reason you gave... save your boots for the alpine.

Oh....can I answer this? Please? Pretty please? laugh.gif

None! (yet)

This is my friend I was asking the question for....also known as Emelda Marcos wink.gif