little things that make your life better in the woods

allison

I know we did this one before, but it got lost in Cyberspace and I forgot most of the good ones.

So......what's your favorite thing to bring into the woods that is not absolutely necessary, but makes life easier in the woods?

I'll throw a couple out to get things going:

Pack Towl. Just a small piece of this super absorbent fabric works miracles in soaking stuff up, cleaning vital regions, and being a fluffy potholder. Better than a hankie for a lot of jobs. I don't bring a whole entire one with me, more like a half of one.

Powdered toothpaste. Easier than the regular stuff to pack, and when after a trip or two ir gets clumpy, toss it and start over. Less foamy/messy in the BC too. I figure my $3 thing of dry toothpaste will last me 5 seasons.

Butter. Bring a pat, and be happy that your food was so tasty you didn't need it. Same with a tiny bottle of hot sauce, like the kind you get in an MRE.

OK, your turn!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second the pee bottle, esp. on winter trips.

Hot water bottle--just fill one of your Nagalenes w/ boiling water and slip it into your bag. Instant toastiness and there's your am H2O.

A decent book, esp. now that the nights are getting longer. This is the time of year to tuck into those lengthy, lugubrious Russian novels.

Butter? How modest. Indulge in bacon drippings. A little goes a long way.

Various hot drinks:

My current winter favorite is powdered chai tea mix (chai tea--verbal déjà vu?) and cheap kaluha. A google search will yield many decent homemade kaluha recipes. Somehow only tastes good on winter trips. Thanks, Norm!

Combine boiling water, tea, a bullion cube and a little miso.

Jonathan

Allison suggests:

"Pack Towl. Just a small piece of this super absorbent fabric works miracles in soaking stuff up, cleaning vital regions, and being a fluffy potholder. Better than a hankie for a lot of jobs. I don't bring a whole entire one with me, more like a half of one."

Allison...if you be cleaning "vital regions" with that thing, do us a favor and keep it away from the cooking utensils, eh? [laf][big Drink][laf]

I always just bring a small bottle of olive oil instead of butter, seems to pack better than butter, and don't have to worry 'bout melting, and spreading it. It tastes just as good too.

A rifle is always good too. It will keep your camp safe and is always good when you are wondering what to have for dinner [big Grin]

I also like a small piece of absorbant fabric. Something I can make moist with a bit of hot water and then I can really scrub my nasty, sweaty ass with it after humping the pack all day. Oh yea, that feels so good. Afterwards, I can play a joke on my partner and stuff it in the sack that (s)he uses as a pillow case.

A big can of Hormel Chili is really nice also. Especially if I'm sharing a tent with my partner.

[Wazzup]

-Heinous

I agree with the bottle of hot water in the sleeping bag, from the last of the cooking pot water; this not only makes the bag warm, but has been useful on long cold wet treks for drying out gloves and even re-expanding the shoulder of a down sweater that got wet.

However we travel very light and our latest "discovery" is instant powdered whole milk: for tea after dinner or breakfast or just sipping. It is a treat for us because we normally drink skim milk at home.

earplugs.

And you can get the handiwipes free from the KFC.

A set from ABBA at the trailhead sets you up for hours of annoying, can't-get-it-out-of-your-head, repetition (see above if your partner succumbs):

You are the Dancing Queen

young and sweet only seventeen

Dancing Queen

feel the beat from the tambourine

you can dance, you can jive

having the time of your life

see that girl, watch that scene

dig in the Dancing Queen.

quote:

posted by erik:

trask, have you ever boned the neighbor wife? eh? have you? lets hear the story! come on trask fess up!

Erik, do you honestly think I would kiss and tell. Shit man, I have to live next door to these fuckers. They already have video cameras set up around the neighborhood due to my home-office gig.

quote:

Originally posted by Heinouscling:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by Darrel:

Dru, one other time by the neighbor's wife.
[Razz]

I got mistaken for a wolf one time by the neighbors wife.
[laf]
No surprise there. I heard you have quite the hairy back.
[Wazzup]

-Heinous

You must be thinking of this guy:

-