Climbing jobs

Bogen

What are some jobs people have had that related to their climbing?

I responded to a bulletin board ad for a climber with biology experience once, and spent 2 months collecting insects in the upper canopy of old growth boreal forest along the Peace river in northern Alberta. I had a great time with it, and went from cautiously trying to protect each "ascent" in the first few days to leaping from tree to tree by the end of the summer.

I know other people who have had jobs with geology surveys. What other ways have people put their experience to practical use?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once paid as a consultant to a window washing crew that wanted to do a bid on a multi building apartment complex. The job required a series of "drops" or rappels to clean the 4 story stacks. I trained them how to rappel and where to set their anchors at the top of the building, some of which required 80 foot spread anchors across the roof to access certain points. While I got a couple hundred bucks for consulting, they landed the $2000 bid and the two man crew finished the job in two days.

Hmmm, it seems there are a lot of mid sized buildings that require this kind of rappel procedure to wash the outside of the windows. This is a lot cheaper than getting trucks with lift ladders into tight locations.

Bat surveys w/loooong rappels throught cave roofs

Raptor tagging

Tree climibing/jumar jugs for nest surveys

Rappels and climbs for rare plants and lichen surveys along desert cliffs

1 assitance for petroglyph survey

Still get to do some of this occassionally rockband.gif. It's my job!

DFA pays quite well for sycophants...

I applied for a position through DFA Enterprises, but was turned down...The "We are Sorry" letter said i was too good lookin' for the job and would attract too much attenzione from DFA...

Edited by RuMR

I break climbing gear for a living. I addition I get to test out outdoor fabric and other gear on a regular basis. The obvious advantage to this is that I have a pretty good idea of what gear (climbing/camping/clothes) works well. On the down side I am now aware of how poorly most designers are. If they concentrated a bit more physics and funtion rather than visual appeal gear could be much better. Unfortunately, most companies make gear that sells instead of gear that works. This is most true when it comes to technical clothing.