Where to practice aid in PDX

cluck

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked only because a few choss piles and road cuts exist in PDX which allow one to practice piton craft (peter croft?) without pissing anyone off or ruining free routes...

I would recommend anywhere you can set up a fixed line quickly and access multiple routes off that anchor (which is just about every area in PDX). As you get the hang of things you will likely search out very thin lines and face routes to practice micro nut placements and hooking.

If you want to borrow any aid gear (cam hooks, micro nuts, brass, solo aider, etc) drop me a line... I line in PDX.

I did a roped solo aid run up "Free For Some" out at Beacon a couple of weeks ago when I forgot things I needed to roped solo free climb (like my shoes, grigri, pack, etc.) - it was actually a lot of fun. Pipeline or the two lines immediately left of Windsurfer would fit the bill, as well. I suspect most of Broughton would be fine and Bill Coe could probably speak to Rocky Butte.

Thanks, NOLSe. Any of those piles of rocks on the west side? I'm not looking for classics, just a pile large enough to practice gear placement and maybe get off of the ground a bit.

I'd definitely have to get out to Beacon and Broughtons sometime, but I'd like to get started somewhere where I won't be bothering anyone if it takes me an hour to climb 10 feet.

How about the place in Oregon City? It is quite short but may fit the bill. Can't remember exactly where it was but it is mentioned in the back of the Portland Rock climbers guide. Close to where 99 goes through the tunnel if I remember correctly. Not sure if it would take any more or less time to get to from Beaverton with all of the traffic.