Helmets anyone?

selkirk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuppies: Young, healthy, fit people with enough disposable income and time to explore new sports on a whim, rather doing so out of dedication.

I guess we can assume that EVERYONE here got started climbing with "dedication," rather than on a whim. Nasty things, whims.

You don't have to spend much time browsing eBay to find a number of climbing outfits -- rope, harness, draws, shoes, chalk bag -- "used once" to get the idea that there are a LOT of people out there who have lots of money to try new sports on a whim. Without having seen them, I don't think I would have believed it myself.

Though, and maybe it's just me, if some yuppie is going to try out a new sport on a whim, I'd just as soon he not get hurt or killed doing it. Not only is it bad for the reputation of the sport, but it tends to attract more thrill-seekers.

I'd rather they tried it, decided it was boring, and told their friends "don't waste your money. Let's try kiteboarding instead."

Well, if my not wearing a helmet results in a disabling injury which requires evacuation (say, rockfall on Gib Ledges) I'm endangering more people (climbing rangers, helicopter pilots, emts, etc) than I would be as the driver of an automobile.

and

partner w/ no helmet in the alpine = asshole partner who could very well leave me up shit's creek all by myself, w/ a very dangerous responsibility to care for his incapicitated self. probably wouldn't climb w/ that guy a second time unless he had great herbs.
sum it up better than I could, going on a route that is notorious for rockfall with a partner who promised to bring one shows up without one---much discussion I decided to not do the route with him because I didn't want to go through the deal with a partner with a head injury--we talked to a party that were coming out from the day before and said that there was a rockslide the day before.

I don't always wear a helmet depending on what I'm doing but on a potential rockfall heavy route and partner shows up without one after saying he would madgo_ron.gif

if you could provide me some more information on the yuppie thing that would be great, i believe both of you are just jealous of those people.

i climb with some so called 'yuppies' and have found them very compentent climbers, who are not afraid to push themselves and do it in a responsible way. they prolly did not become 'ric' without using some sort of good judgement.

i think that your demographics play into the ingnorance.

if you could provide me some more information on the yuppie thing that would be great, i believe both of you are just jealous of those people.

i climb with some so called 'yuppies' and have found them very compentent climbers, who are not afraid to push themselves and do it in a responsible way. they prolly did not become 'ric' without using some sort of good judgement.

Sorry Larry, didn't realize you were a yuppie. Can I have your rack when you're done with it?

why should I be jelouse of stupid people that climb for a week or two and then find out that is takes too much of a commitmnet??? I am not intimidated by someones financial state, and perhaps the term "yuppie" is hangingyou up, and you are not paying attention to the definition that Badvoodoo gave.

if you can think of a term that means "someone with more money then senes that flits from one trendy activity to the next with all apropriate gear before they have the skills to use it" I will edit my post to use that new term cool.gif

Yuppies: Young, healthy, fit people with enough disposable income and time to explore new sports on a whim, rather doing so out of dedication. Thereby increasing the number of people at the crags who don't take the sport seriously, and pose a danger to themselves and others. Not to say there aren't stupid poor people too, there's just less of them with $1000+ worth of gear.

yuppy = someone who's a motivated individual that's got their shit in gear and can hold down a job, raise a family, pay the mortgage, keep their car running and still find time to recreate and keep themselves fit...even if at times it feels like they can barely keep their nose out of the water

Seems to me that this type of individual would make a better climbing partner and climber in general, than some dirtbag dipshit, don't ya think? If anything, free time is a hell of a lot more valuable to someone who doesn't have a lot free time and it tends to get utilized to the fullest...

And that approach of climbers who have been climbing for a long time ripping new and beginning climbers just stinks of elitism...it sucks..."I started before you, therefore you are not dedicated as i am"??? WTF!! that's about as lame as it gets...if anything, beginning climbers aren't jaded asshole punters who think they are the shit sticking to the wall (I know a certain talkshow host who posts here that falls into that category)...

We all began somewhere and were that "noob" that was laughed at...some of us chose to stick with the sport and others left it...get off your throne...you suck with that attitude

Sorry Larry, didn't realize you were a yuppie. Can I have your rack when you're done with it?

Hey...voodoo smack talker...i'm a yuppie...i climb with all the latest raddest stuff that i can buy from all of the slick mags, but only if i see the current climbing goddess/gods using it...feel free to try and take my rack and maybe you can show me how to climb sumpin...cuz i don't know how to climb very well...the gym doesn't offer any climbing classes beyond Advanced Gym Climbing...

Hey...voodoo smack talker...i'm a yuppie...i climb with all the latest raddest stuff that i can buy from all of the slick mags, but only if i see the current climbing goddess/gods using it...feel free to try and take my rack and maybe you can show me how to climb sumpin...cuz i don't know how to climb very well...the gym doesn't offer any climbing classes beyond Advanced Gym Climbing...

Rumr you ar no yuppie by the defintion Badvoodoo and I are using

"someone with more money then senes that flits from one trendy activity to the next with all apropriate gear before they have the skills to use it" I will edit my post to use that new term

yup·pie ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yp)

n. Informal

A young city or suburban resident with a well-paid professional job and an affluent lifestyle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[y(oung) + u(rban) + p(rofessional) influenced by yippie.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yuppie·dom n.

yuppie

n : a young upwardly mobile professional person; someone under 40 who prospered during the 1980s

i gleaned this from dictionary.com. i dont see anywhere where it states that yuppies bounce from one sport to another. maybe the folks at american heritage dictionary and princeton need to learn the real term. rolleyes.gif

For christ's sake, I was expanding on a point, not slamming newbies with cash. Hell, I consider myself a yuppie. Not everything is a personal attack people. Get over yourselves.

And RuMR: me calling Larry a yuppie? H-U-M-O-R. You having a bad weekend? What's up? I've seen you throw this kinda thing around at will.

What a bunch of bullshit this thread is full of. I'm not going to massage the bad to sound good from a friendly debate. Here's some points I see and plain as day. This is not the sugar coated version.

First of all climbing and motorcycling are not the same. I find myself safer when in the hills - EXCEPT in the presence of dorks that are not careful and trundle rocks because they are - YEAH I'M GONNA BE PC INCORRECT - fucking careless idiots. Ok I can forgive a pebble or 2 or maybe a rock once in a while. It's all the beginners or less experienced or careless jackasses that are trundling the rocks most of the time. Please read MUTINEERS that travel in groups for class climbs. Yeah you.

Helmets are ok. I'll choose when to wear mine and you yours.

Back to the real point - all you losers trundling shit be more fucking careful. That's how you hurt other folks.

As far as taking falls with helmets. They help. But there are situations when they don't.

A helmet is not always going to save your life. Use it. But stick to your guns-

Get out of way when gaper idiots trundle rocks. If they do kick their ass in.

Avoid crowded routes where losers are trundling. (beat them there and trundle on them moon.gif )

Watch your fucking ropes dragging across ledges packed with rocks. Yes you. People might be below.

If you can't efficiently walk down a slope or gulley without dislodging big ass hurtful boulders move slower or stay in the gym.

If you think you might whipper on low angle rock in the mountains. Don't. Get on an easier route or take up geocaching or something..

later tards

That sounds similar to an accident on Orchard Rock at Peshastin Pinnacles about May 1999, in which my group of climbers (one of whom is an MD) was first on scene. That guy got a basal skull fracture out of it, and his belayer got broken legs and pelvis. Thing is, he remained on rope at the top of the crag, but was incoherent and combative when reached. He did not fall to the ground, but his belayer did on an unbraked "air rappel". I believe they were b/f and g/f, or maybe even married. Can't remember the names...

His name is Greg, although I have forgotten his last name.

He was an instrucor of mine in 2000. He is very lucky to be alive and not a vegetable, doubly so his partner. They racked up over $150,000 in medical expenses as a result of that experience. Listen to him talk about it and you'll wear a helmet.

Regarding helmet use: it is all very well to preach consistent helmet use but consider this - a guy I know was hiking up the trail to Castle Crags and fell down on some scree. Hit his head and damaged brain, was a wheelchair driver for several years, has now regained partial functioning of legs. Also part of face paralyzed, slurs speech, people assume he is retarded although he isn't.

How many "I always wear a helmet" people wear their helmets on the approach from the parking lot consistently? I guess not many. Point being the helmet can be an annoyance and of minimal benefit in some situations; choosing where to put on the helmet should be a personal decision not some mandatory requirement.

I turned my head on Sunday, caught a chunk of ice in the temple. Nothing but sprinkles on my helmet all day. I suppose my partner should have warned, or should I orient my head in a more upright position?rolleyes.gif I have a friend who works derrick on the drilling rigs, he says that one habit they are told to break is yelling a warning when they drop something because the first reaction is to look up.

Regarding helmet use: it is all very well to preach consistent helmet use but consider this - a guy I know was hiking up the trail to Castle Crags and fell down on some scree. Hit his head and damaged brain, was a wheelchair driver for several years, has now regained partial functioning of legs. Also part of face paralyzed, slurs speech, people assume he is retarded although he isn't.

How many "I always wear a helmet" people wear their helmets on the approach from the parking lot consistently? I guess not many. Point being the helmet can be an annoyance and of minimal benefit in some situations; choosing where to put on the helmet should be a personal decision not some mandatory requirement.

There is a certain alpine club that frequently makes its students wear helmets from the parking lot. smirk.gif

exactly - my point being we don't see threads about "ropes are safe. i always wear a rope. it is a simple thing to do that can make you a lot safer. if this climber had been using a rope he might be alive today."

ropes, like harnesses, are safety equipment and can be used where desired.