Newbies go Multi-pitch?

selkirk

Would anyone be interested in putting together a Multi-pitch day for the Newbies this Saturday? (Weather permitting of course) I was thinking either easy alpine (Das Toof, or something similar) or possibly some the Index or Leavenworth moderate multipitch routes (Great Northern Slab, R&D, Saber, Midway?).

I could certainly lead one rope. Any takers to either lead or follow?

wave.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey selkirk, I might be up helping out taking some newbies out for a day outing. I would say try to pick an area that has a least a couple of easy routes nearby that way it doesn't become some Mountie fest. So Castle is good here are several easy climbs there, Eerie but I haven't been there, Concord and Lib Bell NF route and Beckey route, or GNS like you said.

The newbies haven't yet been tested on their scrambling skills. Someone ought to take them on something with a fair amount of third class on it to see how they'll do. Beckey Route would be a challenge if they haven't done any scrambling before. I'm sure they will all do fine though.

The newbies haven't yet been tested on their scrambling skills. Someone ought to take them on something with a fair amount of third class on it to see how they'll do. Beckey Route would be a challenge if they haven't done any scrambling before. I'm sure they will all do fine though.

Your fuckin joking right or you are a joke? hellno3d.gifconfused.gif

Newbies if you can hike you can scramble. No tests none of that shite.

WA Pass would be a great area:

Beckey Route on Lib Bell,

North Arete on SEWS,

North Face (?) on Kangaroo Temple

Boving Route on SEWS...

A more adventurous n00b might even have fun following on Cutthroat SEB.

I've been to Erie a few times and I don't think that it has a lot of trad. I could be wrong, though. Mostly just TR'ed faces and a few bolted routes.

I have a n00b friend who followed the West Ridge of Prusik last week. His only other trad climb was a trip up R&D. HE had a great time.

Spring ropeup goes alpine?

Edited by fenderfour

WA Pass would be a great area:

Beckey Route on Lib Bell,

North Arete on SEWS,

North Face (?) on Kangaroo Temple

Boving Route on SEWS...

A more adventurous n00b might even have fun following on Cutthroat SEB.

Oh yes, the Boving Route on SEWS: wet runout 5.10+, sounds perfect for a beginner.

snowbyrd,

how did you decide to go to vantage? if you just want some nice weather and some moderate climbs, vantage will fit the bill. However, as the title of this thread suggests, you want to do some multipitch climbing, why would you choose vantage?

Washington Pass area may be a bit much right now. I know SnowByrd's only been toproping so far and has only Rappeled once or twice. Besides i'm heading up there monday morning anyway tongue.gif

Right now I think the plan should still be Leavenworth hoping to hit R&D, and/or Castle in the morning and maybe alittle single pitch in the afternoon. If the weather is nasty in the morning we'll head to Vantage, unless we have someone along who knows the Index.

Right now were sitting at 3, If you want to join us Ken, that would be great, even out the rope teams or allow another newbie or 2 to come along.

Weather Report right now for Saturday is

Leavenworth: hi 75, 20% chance of showers

Index: hi 65, partly sunny but should be dry

Vantage: hi 75-80, mostly sunny, dry

If your interested PM for final details.

True True! Simona said Vantage so I thought that was the plan. The weather looks good for both places and Vantage was the backup plan. I don't know either place and I think the idea here was to get in some mulit pitch climbs and possibly learn a bit about Trad? Sellkirk is in charge....so is it Leavenworth fer sure then? We need to plan to get a camp spot.

Your fuckin joking right or you are a joke? hellno3d.gifconfused.gif

Newbies if you can hike you can scramble. No tests none of that shite.

This isn't what the current week's outing is all about, perhaps, but whether or not it is to be "tested," I'll say that back when I was a pup I took a one-day class from Exum Mountain Guides (just about the only rock-climbing instruction I ever had), and one of the most valuable parts of that class was indeed some instruction about scrambling. There is a lot to learn about body mechanics, energy conservation, evaluating vertical exposure vs. fall potential, party management, etc.,

Yeah, I think we start in Leavenworth at least. If it's too wet to climb then we head to Vantage. It should only cost us an hour or so. Vantage just isn't as well suited to what were after. If Dryad and the Brits can head up early and grab a spot at Eightmile that would be perfect. If were blessed i'm thinking R&D in the morning, then either top-roping or ground school stuff in the afternoon. Would the two brits be interested in toproping? I've got an extra harness and if someone can pick up 15 or 20 ft webbing I can rig another one.

might be kinda hot..........

TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...BECOMING A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S TO MID 70S. SOUTHWEST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 30 PERCENT.

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... LOWS NEAR 50... SOUTHWEST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE MID 70S TO LOWER 80S SOUTHWEST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... LOWS NEAR 50... SOUTHWEST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS AROUND 80... SOUTH WIND 5 TO 10 MPH

SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... LOWS IN THE UPPER 40S TO MID 50S

SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE 70S TO MID 80S. LOWS IN THE 40S TO UPPER 50S.

Also keep in mind that concert trafic and campers could be a bummer.