Mountain boots

johndavidjr

My 4-yr-old Makalus have disappeared (!) following my trip to Mt Stone area. I'd like suggestions for replacements.

Meantime it looks like I'm stuck going to BC later this week with some crusty, 20-yr-old, resoled Asolo Yukons, & hoping like hell to avoid blisters & sole delamination.

I need boots for garden-variety mountain climbs in summer NW etc....I'm sort-of interested in Garmont's high-toppped "approach" shoes, but they look a little light for glacier slogs and step-kicking. Trango S might be overkill (???) for my purposes. I'd appreciate any general or specific thoughts on boots.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The montrail lotus gtx looks pretty sweet. I don't know how well it would fit your foot, given that you were in Makalus prior to loosing them.

I'll probably buy a pair of the montrails as soon as I sell my other boots (sz 45 scarpa freney pro, BARELY used (this shameless ad plug brought to you by midol.))

Try on some boots. If you havn't checked the garmonts out, do. see what fits.

I just used the Garmont Tower GTXs on a trip to Dorado Needle this weekend and am quite pleased. Relatively light and comfy on the trail and performed great on steep glacier stuff, both early AM styrofoam and late PM mashers. I did get blisters, but this is my first alpine trip this season and these are moderately stiff boots, so that's not exactly a surprise. Unless these boots blow out unexpectedly, my old La Sportiva K2s will now be sitting on the shelf of unused gear.

Edit: On fit, I've got narrowish, low volume feet. These boots fit me great. If your feet aren't shaped all funny and skinny like mine, these boots might not be for you.

Edited by J_Fisher

I have used the Garmont Vetta for general hiking/approaches, strapped aluminum crampons onto them, and front-pointed in BD Sabertooths in them. They're great. They might be a little cool for extended trips on snow at higher elevations. Maybe not. I love mine.

okay so --I've been traipsing around in my old Yukons, and thinking they're maybe gonna cause blisters because the resoling job before I junked them changed their size and they've kinda dried up & gotten slightly weird (though there's probably plenty of life in them).

My choices are a.) do nothing much but monkey with socks. b) buy insoles to take up heel space or c.) buy new boots.

I may be afflicted with mere shoppingitis, but I'm thinking maybe these non-leathers, like Trangos and Garmont Vetta/Tower, might actually be possible to wear out-of-the-box without blisters. I'm going to do 4-5 days much on glaciers & rock in BC Selkirks. The Vettas aren't warm enough? The Trangos? The skin on my feet is only in somewhat toughened state at the moment. Am I crazy to think of bringing new boots on such a trip?

Yes. The fact that you ask anonimous screen names over the internet what boots to buy verifies you have significant chemical imbalances in your brain. You are indeed crazy. Welcome!

I read a TR where DavidParker wore the Towers out of the box to do the long approach to Goode and climb a route with no blisters over a 2-3 day trip and a pack.

I wore mine "out of the box" on a long day schwack & scramble with no problems either. I'd say go for it if they feel good after wearing them around the house for a few days. Can't be any worse than the risk you'd take wearing your old boots. I shelved some leather hunting boots for 2 years and almost died from bleeding blisters when I wore them again.

So the Jury are in and the Raichle All Degree are Winner! I used them on Rainier yesterday and they were broken in after only 2 miles

Pro:

REALLY comfortable, Really LITE, Kicking steps was a comfortable task with them, Really warm (Gore-Tex) but fairly cool on the lower trail (stream crossing was not a problem even when I had my boot immersed calf high in the water

Con:

ALLOT of Seams!!! MUST seam seal the boots with Seam Grip (DO NOT USE SIL-NET) or Durability WILL be an issue (but hay…that is why these boots are SOOOOOOO comfortable)

I'm also in the market for some new boots - do you think the Rachiles are decent for some steep snow, a little ice on cascade routes. I hate blisters and my Scarpas are not cooperating lately.

Also - anything that a cobbler might do to ease heel blisters?

I'm also in the market for some new boots - do you think the Rachiles are decent for some steep snow, a little ice on cascade routes. I hate blisters and my Scarpas are not cooperating lately.

Jim - I'll give you another endorsement for the Garmont Vetta. I climbed the N.E. Couloir of Colchuck in them (1 an a half times, actually) this Spring; they take BD Sabertooths with the heel bail really well. I did some frontpointing in them and they worked great.

they are fine for anything rock, snow, ice they have the back crampons bail so they are great for newmatic crampons

I won’t go climbing WF vertical ice with them although they might do good for a pitch or two.

This means your hill have too much room that it is slipping up and down try to lace them in one of these nifty ways and get an arch support to take from the volume of your feet if it still doesn’t work then it is time for a new boots

I read a TR where DavidParker wore the Towers out of the box to do the long approach to Goode and climb a route with no blisters over a 2-3 day trip and a pack.

To set this straight....I wore Garmont light hikers "Verro" (or something like that) on Goode. The label said "these boots will take you further than yout think". They were right because I definitely pushed it using these. I should have used better boot sealer first.

The Garmont Towers I used "out of the box" on Fury and I did get blisters over 4 days. They are NOT for wide feet. I'm still experimenting with footbeds with those boots. If they fit, these are excellent Cascade boots. They hike, rock climb, smear and take crampons well. Wayne and Colin both use them if that means anything.

• 2 weeks later...