Freeway Gunshow 5.10a

512dude

So there is supposedly a new climb in the EXIT 38 area. Anyone know how to access this area? I have pics of some of the new areas around the 38 where the bolts are so new that the rock dust still sparkles around them. Trade ya.

[ 08-02-2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: 512dude ]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Smoot, this sport slab is one of "the best friction climbs in Washington" and a "New Classic" where you "seem to be clipping a bolt every time you make a move" (18 of them if you do it in a single pitch!!!) [Confused][Wazzup] Plus you get to enjoy the sound of nearby freeway traffic.

[Roll Eyes]

See here for details.

[ 08-02-2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

Best friction climb in the state I dunno which is best.

First one that springs to mind is orbit. But plenty of others like WR Prusik or something.

I think that dude is cool that put it up personally met him once. Never done the route probably never will.

I think he is catering to the people that want absolute safety and safe climbs are ok I suppose. Look at the ethics established in the area........ For one.

What can you expect and I dont really care to be honest but like to babble.

UT couple of friction moves out on the slab for me. Done it 4 times already. But hey if you found jams all the way cool. No friction on the upper knobs of 2 pitches de slab. Slingin horns for me either [big Grin]

Whatever you be the man since I was working a 12 hour day [big Grin]

[ 08-02-2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Yeah, that slab/corner out onto the face pitch is a kick. I guess I think about Orbit as mostly gear-protected face climbing with some hand and finger jams thrown in.

When I think of friction climbs, I think of nothing but smears for feet, where your hands are just there to keep your upper body balanced. But it's true--we all use friction on almost all climbs.

Word up havin fun [big Grin] adn still will call it one of my fav friction routes around. There is friction no doubt. How many feet until cracks or should I say how many cracks did you actually need for pro on the last 2 pitches! and was there any friction in between [big Drink]

[ 08-02-2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

A bolt every 6.67 feet? Dang that's even too many bolts for
me
and quite frankly, that's saying something!!
[laf]

Don't get on the band waggon and start dis'in things you haven't done. [Roll Eyes]

It could come around to bite you in the [Moon]

I am off for the weekend lets see who can have the most fun [big Grin]

Hope you have fun this weekend Allison ,Its the name of the game. [big Drink][laf]

[ 08-03-2002, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: richard noggin ]

Say what you want, but the line looks really sweet!

I hiked to the base of it once in the rain before it was bolted. I wanted to do it. I figured a few bolts and lots of small gear.

The moves look really cool. More cereberal than the mundane smear, smear, smear, smear of Darrington?

Speaking of slabs, what is the hardest slab route in our state? Rotues that have not been overtaken by moss that is.

The hardest slab I ever tried to follow was at Index was lead by a partner of mine over 50, a way hardman old schooler I met in the parking lot one day.

He freed astroman in 1979 being the largest dude to fit in the harding slot after his ascent. Mentioned the beta for him was wearing a slick shirt [big Grin] He aint no small skinny guy and is about as mellow yellow as they come. He eats 5.11 for breakfast [Eek!]

Wham was the route at Index. I know it's not 5.13 but very good and tough (I never finished it and no shame either)! Zoom is a spanker too!

Here is the tough guy leading 5.12+ sport at Little Si for breakfast http://www.alpinelite.com/images/ray/Technorigine.JPG I have seen him onsight 5.12a and he has done 5.13 as well. Likes trad and still climbs with me even though my max is near 5.6. Way cool dude!

-

[ 08-03-2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Found this area and others this weekend...the slab route is good but its 5.8 and yes overly bolted. Fun but not a 3 star route in my opinion. Too much freeway noise and lack of wilderness ambience. Most of the other new lines all go at 5.10a or less except a thinner slab line higher up that is 5.10d. The stuff looks chossy but is surprisingly intact. The steeper climbs are jug filled.

Enjoy [big Grin]