I want a pair of boots that....

dberdinka

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in the market for new boots and found a lot of models that met some but not all of the criteria. I ended up with a pair of Scarpa Mantas which fit all of your criteria, with the exception of being light. They are lighter than my old LaSportiva K2s though.

I was looking for the same thing last year, and settled on the Garmont Ferratas. They have performed well on easy alpine rock (West Ridge of Pigeon Spire & Blackcomb Buttress) and ice (NW face of Matier). Probably not truely waterproof, and durability is a relative term depending on frequency of use. I expect/hope to get at least 5 years out of them.

I think the Ferratas have been discontinued, but the Tower GTX is essentially the same boot. The other contender was the Sportiva Trango Plus, but I prefer leather over synthetics.

I have some Garmont Towers, but I don't like the Gore-Tex. I would rather have thin leather boots. I don't think Gore-Tex works for boots. My feet seem to get damp over extended hikes with them. The Towers climb really well though, and are solid enough for some glacier travel. Great for low 5th class rock. Good for things like Mt. Challenger, for example, with long approach, glacier travel, and 5.6ish rock.

I'm in my third year of using the Scarpa Manta. DPS is right about them not being all that light, but they climb very well and they're fine for approaches. For any climb that has some approach miles, some snow and ice and some rock, and you don't want to carry extra footwear, they don't seem to be much of a compromise in any area. I've spent a good part of the last two summers in my Mantas and Stubai Ultralight Universals.

Vasque CrossTrail Catalyst Mid GTX XCR. Climb comfortably to 5.7. Kick steps OK, as long as it isn't too hard. Very-very light. Comfortable. Gore-tex. Lots of miles on mine. $125...Stealth S1 sole is very sticky. Make sure you get the gore-tex model. They sold and still sell the non-GT model. You can get those for half the price.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=7&brandcatid=51&gen=m&pcid=10499

Hey D, I got a pair of kayland tractions. Kicked up n face maude in them and they are pretty good for hiking. Semi waterproof. pretty light. If you got a size 10ish foot I'll let you try them out. Rumor had it that they discontinued them but I still see them in stores.