Baby Smashers!

Stonehead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that it reads, "Disease and filth are inadvertently being spread throughout the adult population." Sounds like an intolerant fuck who doesn't like to have to smell poop when he goes in the bathroom.

rolleyes.gif Ever consider that it just might be continued use of the prevailing theme of SATIRE? Are you really going to take any of the sentences in there at face value?

So are you saying that baby-changing stations aren't unsanitary or what?

That guy's an idiot if he thinks baby-changing stations aren't preferable to the current alternatives.

I'm not sure I understand what he's satirizing. My best guess is he's satirizing people's intolerance of babies. Is that what you took out of it Will?

So are you saying that baby-changing stations aren't unsanitary or what?

That guy's an idiot if he thinks baby-changing stations aren't preferable to the current alternatives.

I'm not sure I understand what he's satirizing. My best guess is he's satirizing people's intolerance of babies. Is that what you took out of it Will?

Methinks some of you who "get" the "joke" of the baby-smasher, aren't getting the rest of the joke... hahaha.gif

I don't know about you guys, but I get really, really peeved when I hear that idiom "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water". I mean, how can people so lightheartedly suggest that you would throw a baby out the window!!?!?! hellno3d.gifsnugtop.gif Shocking, I tellya, shocking. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Oops, maybe this belongs in that "Peeve Thread" thread....

er no, actually. On second thought, it doesn't. smirk.gif

I don't know about you guys, but I get really, really peeved when I hear that idiom "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water". I mean, how can people so lightheartedly suggest that you would throw a baby out the window!!?!?! hellno3d.gifsnugtop.gif Shocking, I tellya, shocking.

Hey smart guy, read this:

An excerpt from,Wolfgan Mieder, (1995), "(Don't) Throw the Baby Out with the Bathwater: The Americanization of a German Proverb and Proverbial Expression." De Proverbio 1

When the proverb "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" or its parallel proverbial expression "To throw the baby out with the bath water" appear today in Anglo-American oral communication or in books, magazines, newspapers, advertisements or cartoons, hardly anybody would surmise that this common metaphorical phrase is actually of German origin and of relatively recent use in the English language. It had its first written occurrence in Thomas Murner's (1475-1537) versified satirical book Narrenbeschwörung (1512) which contains as its eighty-first short chapter entitled "Das kindt mit dem bad vß schitten" (To throw the baby out with the bath water) a treatise on fools who by trying to rid themselves of a bad thing succeed in destroying whatever good there was as well. In seventy-six rhymed lines the proverbial phrase is repeated three times as a folkloric leitmotif, and there is also the first illustration of the expression as a woodcut depicting quite literally a woman who is pouring her baby out with the bath water.1 Murner also cites the phrase repeatedly in later works and this rather frequent use might be an indication that the proverbial expression was already in oral currency towards the end of the fifteenth century in Germany.

There is no doubt that the proverbial text gained rapid and universal acceptance in the satirical and polemic literature of the Age of the Reformation. Martin Luther (1483-1546) for example changed the proverbial expression in his scholarly lecture about Salomo from 1526 to a proverb by adding the formula "Man soll ..." (One should, One must, or Don't) to it: "Man sol [sic] das kind nicht mit dem bad ausgiessen" (Don't throw the baby out with the bath water).2 It is of interest to note here that Archer Taylor in an article on "The Proverbial Formula 'Man soll' ..." (1930) takes this particular expression to point out that "the formula was used to make nonce-proverbs out of proverbial phrases. In 'Man soll das Kind nicht mit dem Bade ausschütten', the starting point is the phrase 'das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten' and not the proverb. It may be possible to dispute whether the phrase or the proverb was first in any particular instance, but the general method of forming nonce-proverbs from phrases remains."3 While Taylor does not explicitly refer to Luther, he certainly is correct about his statement that the formula "Man soll ..." in general makes proverbs out of proverbial expressions. But even Luther preferred to use it on several occasions in its phraseological form, enabling him to employ the metaphor for polemic purposes rather than as didactic wisdom which the proverb would express."

Had enough?

Want more?

madmike.jpg

Martin Luther? You mean that German augustian monk who wrote in his essay On Jews and Their Lies

Beware then the Jews and know that the Jewish school is nothing other than a nest of the devil ... And when you hear a Jew teaching, then realize that you are hearing a venomous basilisk that can poison and kill people with the sight of his face.

I was quite surprised to see his name linked to a polemic poised as if to come from the mouth of your combative Rabbi Toughguy. Coming back around to baby smashing, Father Luther preferred to see possessed children thrown into the river to drown or be cured. Martin Luther was a sick bastard.

Dude. I ain't defending Martin Luther or his bad-boy talk. The man definitely had his faults, while at the same time left a profound, and often positive mark on history. He's only cited above as one who plays a part in the history of the bath-water expression. By the way, most of the branches of the Lutheran Church today have explicitedly condemned Luther's comments about Jews. e.g., here are some comments by the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church:

"While The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod holds Martin Luther in high esteem for his bold proclamation and clear articulation of the teachings of Scripture, it deeply regrets and deplores statements made by Luther which express a negative and hostile attitude toward the Jews. In light of the many positive and caring statements concerning the Jews made by Luther throughout his lifetime, it would not be fair on the basis of these few regrettable (and uncharacteristic) negative statements, to characterize the reformer as "a rabid anti-Semite." The LCMS, however, does not seek to "excuse" these statements of Luther, but denounces them (without denouncing Luther's theology). In 1983, the Synod adopted an official resolution addressing these statements of Luther and making clear its own position on anti-Semitism."

P.S. What combative Rabbi Toughguy? grin.gif

"Brought to you by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, a division of Third Reich, Inc." tongue.gif

Hey "Flash", you want to slander Thrivent? Here's their web-site. Share your Third Reich comment with them.

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans

While you're at it, maybe you should go after the Lutheran church establishment, perhaps starting with the organization who's denouncement of anti-Semitism was posted above.

Lutheran Church Missouri Synod

Don't forget to mention you're a climber.