the choss thread

Dru

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would have to be either Larabee or Johannesburg for me. Larabee is just a walk up, but it is covered with clinkers that are next to impossible not to step on. You have to just ride them a little and step off onto the next one.

Johannesburg is steep enough in a lot of places that you'll want to use your hands. The holds are all portable. They work okay if you push down, but not out. I've never seen quite so many portable holds in situ as on that mountain. What I mean is not free from their original location, but ready to be pulled free.

chossiest crag ever: vantage. don't mind occasional loose holds but when they are unpredictably loose, whole bolts come off with the rocks, and the entire column is unstable i do not like it.

chossiest rock climb: some pitches of cayoosh wall were quite bad, rotten schist. i was very worried the ropes would be cut just from their movement as they followed me up the climb

chossiest "rock": volcanic debris on the north side of plinth peak. but hey when you can cut a bollard in rock with your gloved hand you can just pretend it is a solid type of snow. however when chunks of snow hit the belayer they usually don't result in cracked helmets and broken cameras.

f'ing amateurs.

north sister in september. you can pick up up boulders and break them over your knee. You could package them in a honey maid graham cracker box and no one would know the difference. I have chiseled footholds out of almost elemental sulfur on mount hood.

three fingered jack is totally solid on the standard route. In fact the rock is pretty damn good in my opinion.

Ran into some stacked shale-like plates in NC once. Every hold was portable. Need pro? Remove a plate and stick a cam in the resulting horizontal.

Investigated a cliff near Price Canyon, UT once that looked like Maple Canyon style cobbles. Only this stuff wasn't cemented together...anyone need a bowling ball?

Cutler sandstone can be pretty interesting.

On the climb, Angry Nipple Discharge, I did a huge dyno to a dirt patch across a gaping chasm with my ice tools aiming for a clump of grassblades.

It held! thumbs_up.gif

I've held the lobes of my cam anchor in place with my palm on a route on Beacon rock.

Necro had me belayed off a stick frozen in the ice on a lead that I had not a piece of gear, included when the lead stretched into a simul climb.

The 10d O/W on carlos rossi memorial tower was so loose that my #5 cam fit until I tested it, the rock fell apart, then I needed a #6 and Jordan needed goggles to belay me. Dry heaves at the top.

I'm gonna die young

The worst chossiest rock I have ever climbed has been granite. eg: Crap Crags and N.N.Gully on the Chief, Mt. Reh in Anderson River group, upper part of Peruvian Flake in Yosemite.

Weetbix schist in New Zealand was also gross, but at least you could kick steps into it.

I was down in Mexico with my sister one time. We were driving along and saw this nice looking crag about 300 feet high. Since we had ropes a gear we decided to pull over and attempt to climb up to a cave that was half way up the wall. I don't what that sheet was, but it was definitely sheet. The stuff just perpetually crumbled in hand and under foot. Just by taking a chunk you could make dirt by rubbing your hands with it. We made it to the cave. The suck ass part was nothing it the cave was solid enough to rap from, so I lowered my sister to the ground from a seated belay and then down climb the sheet.

That shite that makes up Thumb Rock is damn crap, looks like it would be fun climbing to the top of Thumb Rock if it was solid.

Edited by ken4ord

"Shit Infection of the Vagina" at Trillium Rocks in California is way choss. Last time I was there, the holds weren't even chalked, and there was mud on the approach!

Also the red tape problem at V-World is super chossy - the third hold spun on me last night and I fell all the way to the crashpad!

The first half of Springbok Arete on Les Cornes is pooo. Lots of kitty litter granite mixed with a nice assortment of fragile holds, loose blocks and wide cracks. Oddly enough the second half is as good as alpine rock gets. I've decided that I must fundamentally be an optimist as I really only remember the second half anymore.

I once attempted Sunday Cruise on the backside of With Doctor Wall in Darrington. It's the only freeclimb on the wall and the topo it looked sweet. We made it two pitches before bailing at the top of a pitch of 5.5. Entire thing was made of massive, loose, mossy, perched flakes. I will never go back.

Yellow Brick Road in Marble Canyon is the BEST chossy climb I've ever done. If you don't tear off 1000 lb blocks of limestone you'll have a great time!