Heli-hiking

eternalX

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet this is all the rage with the "eco-friendly" celebrities. Flown in to some exclusive remote wilderness to enjoy the majesty of nature from their lavish lodge suite, hike maybe 4 miles over the course of a week, then fly out again to an interview on E! about their experience roughing it in the distant wilderness to get back to nature.

Forget heli-hiking. That is so yesterday. The new game for the Whistler extremoMtnDudes is heli-biking! Get airlifted to the top with your fully-suspended, knobby-tired bitchin ride, and then make the first descent. Dude, so rad. Fragile alpine meadows be damned.

They've been doing it for quite a few years now in the mountains near Whistler, and probably other places too.

actually someone heli biked one of those massive scree chutes north of the thompson canyon just east of lytton a few years back. you could see the fresh track in the scree until rockfalls obliterated it.

i myself have taken up heli-climbing and plan to continue it when i can afford to as a supplement to regular climbing

I've always dreamed about going hiking with some retired member of the Afghan mujahadeen, along with his trust Stinger missle, and knocking off the tail rotors of a few particuarly intrusive helos. Would certainly even up the odds somewhat in this land-user conflict , as well as spice up the experience for those bored, lazy heli-recreationalists!

Maybe we could set up an anti-aircraft battery on the roof of Murray's store to pick off the helos going up to Lake Lovely Water? You'd see a proper bridge going over the river PDQ after that, I expect.

Having said all that, I am not against all heli-access, but only in appropriate areas (i.e. remote, difficult to access, and not heavily used by parties who walk in) Flying into those areas that you can reach by a 3 hour hike, like Lovely Water, or Garibaldi Park, or indeed most of the southern Coast Mountains, seem a little disrespectful of the experiences of others.