Grizzly Bears and Cascades wilderness

Jim

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

True brown bears, aka bruins (Ursus arctos) in WA: no

I'm including in this grizzly bears, a subspecies of brown bear. Until I see definitive proof by way of a picture in a known WA setting I refuse to believe there are any grizzlies in the state.

Note that black bears (Ursus americanus) often have brown coats. Of all the bears I see in WA every year (3 or 4 a year) I'd say half are brown-furred and half are black-furred.

People see a brown bear and think it's a brown bear. It's just a black bear with a brown coat.

Wrong. Recent research using hair snares and DNA analysis has confirmed that the griz is in Washington. Prior to this there has been other indirect evidence including photographs of footprints by ecologists, and a number of credible sitings. The general assumption is that a handful wander in and out from Canada and Idaho. Permanant residents? Who knows.

Where is that data coming from? Look at the last link, out of all that I posted...isn't that the barbed wire survey you're talking about? confused.gif

Ninety-two of the 95 samples were determined to be from black bears. Only one sample produced genetic data consistent with grizzly bear DNA - a sample which came off a barbed wire fence from just over the border in British Columbia. There were no grizzly bear detections from the 15 snare stations in the Washington Wedge

Where is that data coming from? Look at the last link, out of all that I posted...isn't that the barbed wire survey you're talking about? confused.gif

Ninety-two of the 95 samples were determined to be from black bears. Only one sample produced genetic data consistent with grizzly bear DNA - a sample which came off a barbed wire fence from just over the border in British Columbia. There were no grizzly bear detections from the 15 snare stations in the Washington Wedge

Here we go. I know the researchers over at WSU working on a 5 yr. study. They have confirmation. Also check out the confirmed sitings in the Selkirks that wander into WA. Sorry - bilitzing at work no time to web search it for you.

True brown bears, aka bruins (Ursus arctos) in WA: no

I'm including in this grizzly bears, a subspecies of brown bear. Until I see definitive proof by way of a picture in a known WA setting I refuse to believe there are any grizzlies in the state.

Note that black bears (Ursus americanus) often have brown coats. Of all the bears I see in WA every year (3 or 4 a year) I'd say half are brown-furred and half are black-furred.

People see a brown bear and think it's a brown bear. It's just a black bear with a brown coat.

Yah there are. There is some page out there about the study of Griz in the north cascades. Apparently they get a verified report every several years, so it is seriously rare, but they are out there.

I have seen a grizzly in WA state. May 1997. My wife and I saw it with its cub in a meadow. It really did scare me at the time when I saw it. Saw the damned hump on the back of its neck--that's what alerted me....and then we saw the cub. This bear was also noticeably larger than the black bears I see frequently.

The bear ran off with its cub becuase we frightened it just as much as it frightened us upon this chance encounter.

Where did we see it? In the eastern Pesayten. About two miles up the Iron Gate trailhead outside of Loomis.

No pictures, too scared. Took off. I did have a video camera in my backpack though.

Like Cuba Gooding Jr. said "Show me the money," I say, "Show me the picture."

You can believe what you want. I will believe what I want. And the grizzly will not care either way, but he may stop at that thin, straight-arrow swathe of cut trees in the middle of the forest and say, "What the hell?"

Grizz's have humps between their shoulderblades, and their fur is tipped with silver, or "grizzled" with silver, hence the name Grizzly.

I just camped at Grand Park on Rainier, but didn't get to see any bears. Apparently they were all hanging out at Summerland. Go there if you want to see some bears.

It's not the bears that scare me, but the cougars!

Y'all should see the movie that is out now called Grizzly Man. That guy was CARAZZEE!