Hammer

mtngrrrl

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on your pounding technique. Generally most people with a descent swing and more upper body strength (i.e males... sorry not trying to be sexist) prefer something with a bit more weight behind it: the pika hammer is sweet. You might actually like the yos hammer from BD (though if you do, lengthen the keeper sling... stock it is the correct length to hit you in the ankles). I haven't heard much about the cassin tool.

For a lighter weight hammer, you might check out the Grivel Thor hammer. I have one and it's pretty nice for alpine type stuff where I might be pounding a couple pins and testing a few on the route, Probably not so good if you're going on a multi day nailing quest as it is a little light.

Also check out the www.fish.com for more info on hammers.

I've never been a big fan of the tubular steel hammer handles like on the cassin, they tend to break without warning, at least the carpentry hammers I've had with that type of handle do.

BD Yos hammers suck the butt. boxing_smiley.gif Broke the handle out of the one I used pretty quick and they ain't heavy enough for real nailing.

I now use the Kong Eagle wall hammer. Jim Bridwell Signature model. Heavier (about 30oz), and good all around design for real nail-ups. You can find 'em on the net for about $65. Also, ClimbMax in PDX carries them. That's where I got mine.

kongeaglewallhammer.jpg

Yeah, I read your review of the Yos hammer, willstrickland. I've used a borrowed Yos hammer and liked it just fine. It's the price and projected amount of use that I'm balking at. That Kong looks pretty good, but I'm still looking for cheaper.

I don't think I'll break a hammer, nor am I looking for nailfests at this stage. $12 to try out a hammer doesn't seem like much of a commitment. Funny no one has heard of the Cassin.

I live in Seattle, so the PDX tip won't work, but thanks! And thanks for the other hammer ideas. Why do they cost so much? Captive consumers?

Newbie question: where do you get a funkness device? Make it? (Please.) Do stores sell them?

rather than buy that crappy cassin hammer get a camp brenta. not as heavy as a true big wall hammer like the two mentioned above, it's more a cragging hammer for placing the occasional pin or climbing a few pitches of aid that will go mostly clean. also it cleans mud out of cracks good with the beak thumbs_up.gif mine has lasted 8 years now...

camp brenta

Why do you need a climbing specific hammer? I have used both an Estwing and a Vaughn rock/brick hammer for quite some time. I have a Yos hammer and it sits in a box in my basement. If your doing any hand drilling the Yos sucks. The rock hammers clean cracks way better as well. I have done a few aid routes involving strteches of nailing and can't give you a draw back, of course I haven't nailed a route with the Yos. Both rock hammers ran about $35.

bigdrink.gif

I bought one of those Cassin $12 dealies. It's not so bad as far as I can tell although I'm pretty new to pounding on crap. It's got the same handle as the the Camp Brenta as far as I can tell. The shiny coating chips off a bit after you pound things for a while, but so what, it was $12. It seems like it'll work fine for occasional use, and it's a big step up from the woodworking hammer I had put a leash on.

I bought one of the Cassins for anybody who seconds me. I had had a wooden handle cassin Mike Jackson had brought over from Italy and my friend Kelly Warden broke the shaft. It would have been a good hammer for the alps, shere light weight, fast ascents and occasional "testing" of pins is a consideration, but not for the US.

The high points for the $12 Cassin.

It's light.

It's cheap.

Metal handle.

Coincidentally, the high points are also the low points. A light cheap hammer isn't worth a F* when you need to seriously pound the living shit to get a pin some asswipe chickenshit like me has wanged way deep and hard due to excessive fear with something like a Forest Molinar, (which should be the hammer you use except I won't sell mine and they aren't made any more.)

The metal handle sounds good till you get carpal tunnel from it.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the A5? Be my first choice but I haven't seen or used that Kong, it looks good and Climaxe is very competively priced.Are the A5's still made?

So, not knowing what you will primarilly use it for, if you're only going to occasionally use it, or want alpine rock, get the Cassin as it's light, being absurdly cheap doesn't hurt either. For serious stuff, you will rooo the day you bought it. Spend the money and get a good solid hammer.

Thats my thoughts:

b