Accident on Shuksan: Info?

JoshK

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The climber who was a good friend of mine is doing fine for the time being.

I talked to him and he is in the hospital with several broken bones. They are keeping him overnight for several days due to some fractures in the bones in his back (but no spinal separations). His wife said they are expecting a full recovery, albeit after some healing time.

Best of luck man.

Amazing how some rescues are so hyped they make primetime national news, while others take place in almost total obscurity.

Regardless, knowing the details of climbing accidents that take place in our local hills is valuable to everyone who climbs. It would be much appreciated if a recount of the Shuksan accident could be told here.

Darin

July 4th weekend of 03 I was up on Shuksun and a neophite climber took a fall down the shute at the summit. The ironery was they had just gotten a ticket from a ranger 45 min earlier for staying in the wilderness area w/o a permit. He was lifted out w/ major injuries, non life threating. That never made the news. Was not dramatic enough, unlike the Rainier accident that was "story".Inka if you want the details of every investigated accident they are published every year you can buy the book for I think 20$ or so. Reading that book is a good way to learn what NOT to do.

Amazing how some rescues are so hyped they make primetime national news, while others take place in almost total obscurity.

Regardless, knowing the details of climbing accidents that take place in our local hills is valuable to everyone who climbs. It would be much appreciated if a recount of the Shuksan accident could be told here.

Darin

No harm meant but i think it had something to do with the fact that at least one of the climbers on rainier was from the east coast (maine i think).

thumbs_up.gif to a speedy recovery.

No harm meant but i think it had something to do with the fact that at least one of the climbers on rainier was from the east coast (maine i think).

thumbs_up.gif to a speedy recovery.

To clarify: Both climbers were from the same town; Cape Elizabeth, Maine.