Michael Moore

scott_harpell

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, well, here goes...

"The Denver event was the annual NRA meeting, whose place and date had been fixed years in advance."

If they cared one bit they could have moved the meeting.

"The meeting was a “get out the vote” rally, which took place eight months later, during the election season."

an NRA get out the vote rally is a pro-gun rally. Claiming otherwise would be like claiming a get out the vote rally held by the sierra club was not pro-environment.

"South Africa has the highest murder rate in the world (twelve times greater than America’s)."

C'mon, let's not compare ourselves to a country in Africa which not long ago fought a virtual civil war between races. I'd like to think we could hold ourselves to a higher standard, such as other wester countries, where, coincidentally we have a higher gun death count than western europe and australia combined.

"The U.S. murder rate is lower than the world average (5.5 versus 8.5 per 100,000 population)."

This one is just plain dumb...yeah, let's compare our murder rate to the world average, which includes such fine contries like Somalia, the Congo, East Timor, Haiti and Afghanistan!

"The NRA was founded by former Union Army officers who fought a war to end slavery. Civil War veteran Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside was the NRA’s first president."

The Civil war did not end slavery nor did fighting for the union mean you had any desire to end slavery. Yes, slavery was abolished closely following the civil war, but in way did the union army fight simply to free the slaves

"The U.S. President who signed the act making the Klan an illegal organization was later elected the NRA's eighth president—Ulysses S. Grant."

The KKK was not only anti-black but also highly anti-republican. Note that the parties platforms were esentially switched from today's dems and repubs. Party leaders recognized that not dealing with the KKK could jepordize the very existance of the republican party in the south as voters had become threatened and wary. After quite a bit of debate the KKK Act of 1871 was passed. It also did not make the clan an illegal organization, it simply made it "illegal for any organization to deprive voters of their civil rights and banned efforts to bar any citizen from holding public office".

"Three times as many people die from being struck by lightning" than school shootings, thus school shootings aren't a problem"

Please explain this one to the parents of all the kids who have been killed at school. Yeah, getting struck by lightning would suck...shit happens, but can we honestly say that asking for kids to be safe at school is too much?

He lies less than Rush Limbaugh, who also claims to represent the "truth". Really, both are about entertainment for their respective constituents. I know, liberals are supposed to be all nice and meek so the rabid right can walk all over them, pisses them off to have the left bite back and play the same game. I know better than to quote Michael Moore as gospel, but Al Franken on the other hand is much more rigorous in his fact checking.

michael moore has already adressed most of that drivel. here is the link to his response:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/wackoattacko/

there are probably a few minor inaccuracies in bfc, but i'd challenge anyone to find no inaccuracy and/or bias in any work of non-fiction. conservatives are just pissed that moore has such a large following, especially with his new film coming out during an election year.

That is not the point Josh. The point is the knowing and willful misrepresentation of facts, use of actors, unethical cutting and staged scenes oh yeah and outright lies in a 'documentary'. Guy is a joke.

That is the point. I haven't seen the movie but my guess somebody on the other side of the fence could provide an argument against all that crap. More importantly, the NRA isn't exactly a fair and biased organization interested in only presenting the facts, good or bad. rolleyes.gif

Moore's writing makes him come off as a retard. Look at the above link. "wackoattacko"? WTF? And that moronic book title: "Lies and the lying liars who lied about lying to liars". How can you take this guy seriously? When he comes up with an intelligent writing style I'll listen to his arguments.

Moore's writing makes him come off as a retard...... And that moronic book title: "Lies and the lying liars who lied about lying to liars". How can you take this guy seriously? When he comes up with an intelligent writing style I'll listen to his arguments.

That's the Al Franken Book.

But I'm sure you knew that already.

Moore's writing makes him come off as a retard...... And that moronic book title: "Lies and the lying liars who lied about lying to liars". How can you take this guy seriously? When he comes up with an intelligent writing style I'll listen to his arguments.

Oops, my bad. Misremembered. But Moore's on the same level with "Dude, where's my country?" and the like.

Moore's writing makes him come off as a retard. Look at the above link. "wackoattacko"? WTF? And that moronic book title: "Lies and the lying liars who lied about lying to liars". How can you take this guy seriously? When he comes up with an intelligent writing style I'll listen to his arguments.

I think the title is supposed to be humor. The text of the article is well writtten and logical. It's a good summary of the GOP attack-dog style these days of attempting to discredit anyone who points out the effects of policies or provides a viewpoint that is an alternative to theirs. Rather than discsuss the merits of the policies they go for the throat and character assassination . Expect more of the same in this election year.

Oops, my bad. Misremembered. But Moore's on the same level with "Dude, where's my country?" and the like.

Have you actually read an Al Franken book? Like more than 5 or 10 pages? I have, I read "Lies..." and not only is it extremely informative but it reads well and is entertaining. Unlike Bill O'Nazi and the like, he does an excellent job of providing footnote after footnote backing up every single one of his claims. He gives you the information you need to go and check every one of the assertions if you please. He also methodically disproves outright laws spread by Bill O'Nazi and friends.

Didn't we have this discussion over a year ago? As I remember, we concluded that Michael Moore is a fat ghey sack of shit.

Yes, i can certainly believe that you concluded this.

There is a reason the right wing hates him and is afraid of him...lots of people listen to him.

There is a reason the right wing hates him and is afraid of him...lots of people listen to him.

Josh, reasonable people in the center dislike the guy, because he is a cynical misfit who is not in search of the truth, but instead out to put people down.

Funny thing about people who deep-down distrust other people's motives all the time. I've hired a lot of people over the years, and given a lot of personality profile tests to people for management, sales, and admin jobs. I have made several hires when people scored low on "trust" and damn if they haven't been the very ones who turned out to be untrustworthy themselves. I guess it's a "I know you're going to fuck me, so I'll make sure I fuck you first" mentality. I believe that Michael Moore has this personality trait.

Well, I'm sure you're aware that it's a form of metamorphic rock. Modern pad people lemming lingo substitutes it for the homonym "nice." Use it in a sentence: "Duuude, like that Marlet is so gneiss! I greased off that sloper on Buttknuckle, V11 eh, and he gave such an aggro spot I didn't even dab. I swear, that bitch is gonna be my crashpad4lyfe."

..... we concluded that Michael Moore is a fat ghey sack of shit.

So if someone IS gay (or "ghey", alternate spelling), THEN how do you properly insult them?

Do you call them "straight" or do you call them "super-duper-UBER gay"?

Inquiring minds want to know!