Accident at Rocky Butte?

MATT_B

Saw this on the news last night. It is not clear if it was a climber or not. Sounds like he is more or less OK (at least not dead). Anyone know any details? Here is what I got off the web:

"By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

A man fell about 60 feet off a hillside at the Rocky Butte natural area in northeast Portland Wednesday afternoon, authorities said. His injuries were not life-threatening. The man is in his twenties. His name hasn't been released. Officials said they believe the man was climbing the steep hillside without rope gear and probably lost his footing or lost his hand grip. Rescue crews carried him out on a stretcher. No further details were available. "

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregonian says hiker.

I don't have the full schizzel but I'll add some distand 2nd hand info.

B-Rock: Hiker often = climber in the news. I do not know if he was a climber or hiker in actuality. I suspect that the news really doesn't know either.

This guy slipped and peeled off of somewhere around near silver Bullet, wet.

Other guy (27 year old blonde guy, second hand info sorry its so oblique) was further down, and the actual count of "pitch off the cliff contestants" I believe for the month (last 30 days) now stands at 3. The Oregonian is only counting Firefighter responses. Evidently an ambulance without the fire dept being called out is not to be counted.

So the count down starts, area gets popular, folks get hurt, how long until this hits the radar screens and the city's lawyers pull the plug and close the area?

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

We're trying! I work at KATU and, as the only climber at the station, I'm trying to drill it into everyone's heads that the stoned/drunk meth-head stumbling down the talus doesn't constitute a "climber". Also, the roped up team of mountaineers on Mt. Hood aren't "hikers". It's like nails on a chalkboard to me... but I think a lot of people who don't climb just don't get it or don't care.

Maybe there would be less stoned/drunk meth-heads if the news did a feature on the area and drew some attention to the illegal crap that was going on all the time. We may not be the best land stewards, but the climbers seem to be the only ones picking up any of the garbage out there (well climbers and SOLV)

Paul: just so you know, the Police have swept the lower area twice in the last few months in an effort to get rid of some of the semi-permanant "campers", who otherwise do not have homes in dignity village.

Once they were on ATV's! Wheeeeeee Hawwwwwww!

Hey... if there's a story there, let me know.

I just moved to Oregon and haven't climbed at the Butte yet. Too busy driving to Smith or Frenchman's Coulee.

But if you think trash at the Butte is a good story, tell me more...

-----------------------

Brian Barker

Reporter

KATU-TV

Portland, Oregon

503-231-3529 newsroom

bbarker@katu.com

------------------------

By the way, I'll do anything for a six pack of Fat Tire.

A PDX Pub Crawl on tuesday is a great introduction to Beervana. Leave Fat Tire with the same crowd that drinks PBR and clear-colored malted beverages. Myself, since I've relocated to Northern Illinois (NOT CHICAGO), I've had to switch to swill and/or drive 25 miles for McTarnahan's. bigdrink.gif

poor todd, dwindling to obscurity in harry-carry land...

Yeah...things are different here. May have to start following organized sports like d'Bears and Cubs. Fortunetly, there's a place within an hours drive called the Missippi Palisades. A land of glacier and water sculpted dolomite spires...with a toad-in-residence-in-a-pocket, and many species of poisonous snakes (these mostly stay in the warmer, southern part of the state. A black one that inhabits the top of a climb is quite friendly and will greet you on a sunny, most important ledge, where you have to place hands and feet right next to him. Word is he likes climbers). The purple andesite of Devil's Lake (Mid-West Climbing Mecca) has been enjoyable.

cool.gif

the_finger.gif