A tunnel under the Atlantic?

klenke

The pressure would be about 500 atmospheres or about 7500 pounds per square inch. You would need a casing made of several inches of high strength steel.

Steel and saltwater don't mix well. But if they *could*, cbs, I believe you still need to check your calculations, or are maybe using the wrong equation? My calculations say different...

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a hard enough time maintaining the cables lying on the ocean floor, never mind this ridiculous idea.

thats cause sperm whales keep mistaking the cables for giant squid and attacking them cool.gif

hey cbs please explain how water pressure is expected to act through solid rock huh???

anyways...they didn't have to build the tunnel at all. it is the reactivated tunnel that runs from Lemuria to Shambhala by way of Atlantis. there is a great chapter describing this tunnel system in Umberto Eco's book Foucault's Pendulum.

I got my bus ticket Vancouver to Chamonix already look out Dru here comes Dru! fruit.gif

Last month's issue of Popular Science was talking about this idea. Apparently some crazy Norwegians have been working with the idea of neutrally bouyant tunnels across some of their fjords. The tunnel sections are anchored 40-50 feet off the sea floor. The train that popsci describes would be a maglev capable of 4,000 mph. The only problem would be the sonic boom that would destroy the tunnel sections. Solution? make the tunnel a vacuum.

Close, I just read that article too, and the tunnel would actually only be 200 feet down, if I remember correctly, not 40-50 off the sea floor.

They said the only obstacle at this point is cost. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

New York to London... 1 hr. cool.gif

Uh, trash talkin' psuedo-geologists catbirdseat, Dr.Littledick, and Iain: the sea floor is covered in several kilometers of unconsolidated to partially-lithified, fine-grained sediments, which have sea water filling the pore space between grains. Duh. wave.gif

Uh, trash talkin' psuedo-geologists catbirdseat, Dr.Littledick, and Iain: the sea floor is covered in several kilometers of unconsolidated to partially-lithified, fine-grained sediments, which have sea water filling the pore space between grains. Duh. wave.gif

even at the mid Atlantic ridge? Huh? Huh? confused.gifGeek_em8.gif

hey cbs please explain how water pressure is expected to act through solid rock huh???

You assume that the rock is solid. It has to be solid for thousands of miles. What if it isn't?

whether the rock is porous or not won't change the fact that the tunnel roof will feel the pressure of the overburden (including that of the water column).

yeah! mid-atlantic ridge! take that!

yellaf.gif

Dear MisterErection,

I'm no longer a teacher, therefore I reserve the right to call all you undereducated, low-brain-capacity retards on your retarded shit-talkin' shit, without fear of repercussions from administration or the potential (though admittedly well-aimed) jab at my inability to educate. Because I don't give a fuck about enriching anyone's life anymore. It's all about ME, bitch, ME!

The Mid-Atlantic Trench is an interesting problem indeed. Seems to me the tunnel couldn't be fully under the ocean bed for all segments. The trench is pretty deep.

Heh heh, maybe we could put windows in the tunnel when passing over the trench:

"Now, if you look to your left you may just be able to see the glow of lava deep down in the murk."

"Oooooh."

yellaf.gif