opinions on Slacklining?

Wardo

Wondering if anyone knows of any places / people who slackline in Seattle - need to start working on my balance and thought this would be cool to get into. Before i drop the $ on gear, is anyone into this, and have thoughts on if it's worth the time and $ ?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words: slacklining is for fuckin' hippies.

For real, though, slacklining will probably give you really great balance ... for slacklining. If you want to hone your climberly balance, go climbing. Aside from Dean Potter, no one who ever spent their time slacklining ever amounted to anything as a climber. No one. And what kind of person is Dean Potter? That's right. HIPPIE.

Wondering if anyone knows of any places / people who slackline in Seattle - need to start working on my balance and thought this would be cool to get into. Before i drop the $ on gear, is anyone into this, and have thoughts on if it's worth the time and $ ?

It's a GREAT way to work on broken ankles and wrists, too. I can't think of one single better way to improve my climbing......

cj001f just happens to have "climbing related" gear that consists of 50 feet of tubular webing ... hmmm ... is that a belay? Quickdraw?

50 ft of webbing runs what - $15? 50 feet of webbing can also be kludged by.... tying smaller sections together! That's not exactly big bucks - and the kits I was talking about run $230

Great fun, and good rest day exersise.

The coolest slackline I walked was the giant mooring lines of the Northland barge that would dock at the cannery I used to work at in Ekuk, Alaska.

The tide would go down, and the lines would go tight.

slacklining is good for everyone, the Stonemasters used to walk the chains for balance.

If you wanted to climb Butterballs, you had to "walk the chain" before you were ready... as the story goes.

Spend whatever on the webing (length dependent) and you'll need 5 ovals - don't spend $230!

Make a little z-pulley at the end to cinch 'er tight, and if you don't have any friends to help you pull you can always use a garden tractor or a Subaru....just be sure someone is taking video..........

A Gri-gri and a short piece of static rope worked into the system could ease the setup, too.

I was checking out Lambone's verbal abuse of some noobie at Rockclimbing.com and noticed they have a NEW SLACKLINING FORUM that you might check out. hahaha.gif

Slacklining is fun but not really training. Go for a good long run or do some chinups if you can't climb.

a good yoga class will improve your balance and flexibility and year's worth of yoga would probably cost the same as some of those slackline kits.
must agree with Minx, Yoga is a great way to improve strength and flexability along with balence. you can get a video or book for nest to nothing nad you don't need any "gear" or a "kit"