Hood and St. Helens in a day?

ryland_moore

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear me, it was agonizing to watch those poor souls postholing in the slop, meandering down to treeline to meet their inevitable fate on the trail of misery, the scent of 2-cycle wafting through the pines ever closer and stronger. Oh the horror, oh the humanity. (read to the soundtrack of lawrence of arabia, or similar)

Yeah, right. When I was putting my stuff away the other day I watched one of the parking guys lambaste some dude for dropping off his crew at the parking lot entrance--a full 20 feet from the 'official' loading zone.
If only they were there early in the morning. Last January I had to walk around the bright red Audi (w/ Washington Plates & Seattle tags) that was parked IN the entrance to the day lodge.

A few years back a group climbed Hood, Adams, St. Helen's, Rainier and Baker in two days. They had a driver for the van to catch some yellowsleep.gif between climbs. It was a fund raiser for some notable cause.

Do you know any more details about that? I used to have a fantasy called "the five peak week" where you'd climb the five volcanoes in seven days. I can't imagine the logistics to be able to do all that in TWO days.

yellaf.gif I've seen that before. the best is when a SECOND car comes up behind and honks.

I love it when some hard bodied climber parks their F350 monster pickup in the entrance of the daylodge at midnight so they can unload their frigging climbing packs. I mean they are going to drag those things to the top of the mountain and they can't carry them another 100 feet? WTF, you lazy bastards the_finger.gif

Do you know any more details about that? I used to have a fantasy called "the five peak week" where you'd climb the five volcanoes in seven days. I can't imagine the logistics to be able to do all that in TWO days.

There was an article in the Bellingham paper about it. It was 7-8 years ago. There were 4 or 5 climbers and a driver. They started on Hood and worked their way north, finishing on Baker, climbing the dog routes. That's all I know about it.

I love it when some hard bodied climber parks their F350 monster pickup in the entrance of the daylodge at midnight so they can unload their frigging climbing packs. I mean they are going to drag those things to the top of the mountain and they can't carry them another 100 feet?

The ones I saw seemed to be packing confused.gif I've never understood why you don't pack at home (or the hotel room, or anyplace warm).

You don't actually climb much do you Carl? I can't think of a single time when I've gotten to the trailhead and haven't had to distribute gear/pro or don my gorts. Hell, I don't wanna be seen wearing that shit outside of the alpine environment.

Not with other people. I'm not talking about 5 minutes. I'm talking about the hour long - uh, do you want the cliffbar's - yeah, but I only want the chocolate ones, etc... I pack my pack the night before - why change cloths when you get there?

Everyone looks like a freak at 2am anyways. And I need my beauty rest, and enjoy wearing my Schoeller miracle wear everywhere.