Smith this weekend?

gapertimmy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, JK, MY best friend, Anna, maybe Belle, And RedMonk... I'm going to try to head out early( with the kids) and nab a big spot at grass lands. Will we be seeing you for a SMITH pub club??? [big Grin]

[ 05-21-2002, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: sk ]

I will be at Smith with my wife and kids and my Sister and her family plus whatever stragelers decide to join us. We will be staying in Sunriver.

Looks like it will be crowded this weekend. We are heading down Thursday night with the hope of getting some time in Friday before the big crowds hit.

Where is a good sport section to hit when the main areas are too crowded?

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

Dru, Memorial Day is technically on Monday, the 27th. and most people have the 'day off'. I see Victoria Day (Can.) was yesterday. What's that holiday about?

Armed Forces Day is Saturday May 18. YOU MISSED IT!!!!!

Victoria Day celebrates the anniversary of Queen Victoria losing her virginity in the backseat of a horse-drawn carriage to her future husband, Prince Albert. The Prince is remembered for a canned tobacco named after him and a type of genital piercing also named after him. The holiday is celebrated by heading out of the city for a big bush party. Every year a few people are selected at random and sacrificed to the pagan gods in a vehicular barbeque.

If you want some good advice, NEVER GO INTO THE CHEHALIS ON VICTORIA DAY WEEKEND!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Gordonb:

Where is a good sport section to hit when the main areas are too crowded?

UM NO WHERE....

seriously check out the marsupial crags, they have been grid bolting over there and opening a many a new route.....koala rock has the highest concentration of stiff that i know about....also the backside is classic and imo it is pretty darn good.....

every where will be busy.....

try and get that new supplement by that lawson guy, might make your trip more enjoyable, as you will be able to climb more then wait around....

also i always climb the gear routes there, never have a problem waiting then......climb some more obscure stuff and you will get more done!!!

Thanks Erik. We will be doing some trad stuff as my brother in law will be there and he has trad gear. The rest of us just have quickdraws for sport. We will be about 8 to 10 people with up to 4 ropes. So we will want to spread out if we can.

I tried to pick up Ryan's suplement last time we were at Smith, but Redpoint was only open the weekend and we were there midweek. We are resigned to wait in line.

Why do so many people go to Smith in such large groups?

Wanna avoid the crowds? Think the Gorge. Both the upper or the lower tend to attract fewer people and, as an added bonus, you can avoid most of the heat as well. A lot of worthy climbing to be found down there.

If you think going to the Marsupials will get you away from the crowds think again. I was on Koala Rock a couple of weeks back and there were at least 4 other groups on it at the same time--almost all waiting to get on Thin Air. But then again, 4 groups is not crowded when compared to say, Cinammon Slab.

Bring gear. Trad routes attract fewer crowds but those crowds that are attracted are mazamas. There were a few laying siege to Spiderman last time I was there. Took over an hour for this person to lead the first pitch--I am not exaggerating at all. They took a 5.4 variation above the first pitch that took her another 45 minutes. The "experienced" teacher dropped the rope on me as I was leading the first pitch.

Sorry for the rant.

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Why do so many people go to Smith in such large groups?

Its the gapage effect. Smith is mecca for all gapers, that is why i moved closer to it. Honestly though, I agree with you, I only go on weekdays and its super keen! I can throw my pinklycracladarse on any bolt lader I please.

But I want to pubeclub with the smithers this weekend, thats why i asked.

Hey SK and JK. What day/time are you guys headin over??? I'm thinkin about heading over Friday evening/afternoon, but I dunno what day I'll be leaving yet. It sure will be nice to have three days to climb and relax some. [Cool]

Man, Memorial weekend is about one of the busiest weekends at Smith. If the crowding gets worse over the years, sport climbers will have to call the state park and reserve "crag times." I can see it now, "Yes, I'd like to make a reservation for Five Gallon Buckets on June the 10th..."

Hey Timm@y. Let us know the details for your Pub Club BBQ, and I'm sure the Eugene contingent will be there.

[ 05-21-2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: bellemontagne ]

You have got to be kidding Smith this weekend :rolleyes

Don't forget bout that bumper to bumper trafic getting back into Seattle Monday [sleep]

Cop Ryan Lawsons anti Smith guide to the outlieing areas and blow off the herd!

Some of the local day crags in Washington will be almost empty this weekend.