Whatcha think of this to compete

RuMR

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not actually really sure what the point of it is...it has a much wider range, so you carry like 3 of them instead of 6 regular cams, then you only have 3 cams... maybe for the alpine, but it has more moving parts and so on, so 3 of them weigh about the same as 5 or 6 regular cams.... confused.gif

all the recent "innovations" in protection, I'm thinking those John Long 2-lobed steel cams, Splitter Gear cams, Removeable Bolts, seem to have tanked or been of limited new utility. the last one that was actually useful was the hybrid alien and offset friends.

I've wanted to get triples in hand sizes for a long time - I might consider getting one of these in the place of another number two and number three. Or I could just use the hexes that I've already got for the odd climb where I'd actually want to triple-up - but I could see myself having a moment of weakness in a gear shop and shelling out for one of these if the initial feedback is good.

I would echo Dru's sentiment that, yes, you can cover the range of six cams with only three, but then you only have three cams. Too many moving parts worry me. Also, the unit looks longer when retracted and thus may not be conducive to shallower cracks. Standard cams are time-tested, and are relatively simple mechanism. This looks to complex, not to mention heavy.

Greg_W

I've wanted to get triples in hand sizes for a long time - I might consider getting one of these in the place of another number two and number three.

This seems the big attraction to me of the new wide range camming units - instead of owning a couple sets of cams - own one.

Is their any good reason (aside from pride, simplicity & cost) you wouldn't want the most versatile pro period?

• 4 months later...