BC Country Skiing in the Steens

ryland_moore

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been wanting to go for a bunch of years. Think the thing to do is to access from the east[Alvord Desert] before the snow melts too much. There are some private property issues there from what I've heard. Stunning country with a small snow/ski window in most seasons. Looks like decent steeps!

e_face_steens_sm.jpg

i wonder if you could access via the frenchglenn side as well, maybe sled assisted... the northern access road from the west side seemed fairly mellow to me.

I'm with fejas, with the snows this year, i imagine some of the gullys will hold snow into June, but don't know if the vert drop would be super long. Still, all orygonianz should check this place out.

298752-sunrisesttens.jpg.dbe1bc3722a2ae27b6d5c54adfebbdc5.jpg

There is a chapter on Steens in The Best Ski Touring in America by Steve Barnett. It's a somewhat old book (1987) but still wonderfully relevant and entertaining. I dunno if it's out of print now or what. I remember the trip described was a traverse that exited out Keiger Gorge. I can re-read it and give more details if you are interested..