ZCZC SEASABSAS

TTAA00 KSEA DDHHMM

WAZ012-017-018-019-025-042-ORZ011-081800-

FOREST SERVICE NORTHWEST WEATHER AND AVALANCHE CENTER

ISSUED THROUGH NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE, WA

SPECIAL AVALANCHE STATEMENT FOR THE OLYMPICS, WASHINGTON CASCADES

AND MT HOOD AREA

These statements apply to back country avalanche terrain below

7000 feet. They do not apply to highways or operating ski areas.

930 AM PST 7 January 2004

........AVALANCHE WARNING FOR HIGH TO EXTREME AVALANCHE DANGER

CONTINUES IN THE OLYMPICS AND WASHINGTON CASCADES ON

WEDNESDAY.....

The USFS Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center has issued an

Avalanche Warning for high to extreme avalanche danger on

Wednesday in the Olympics and Washington Cascades. This is due to

heavy new snowfall and a major warming trend, with the new deep

relatively high density snowfall generally accumulating over

weaker lower density snow. Natural or triggered avalanches may

step into the lower density snow and entrain snow down to crust

layers from December especially near and west of the Cascade crest

where snowfall is expected to be heaviest. Travel in avalanche

terrain should be avoided or confined to low angle terrain away

from avalanche path run out zones. For details see the mountain

weather and avalanche forecasts at www.nwac.noaa.gov. This

statement will be updated as warranted.

Backcountry travelers should be aware that elevation and

geographic distinctions are approximate and a transition zone

between dangers exists. Remember there are avalanche safe areas

in the mountains during all levels of avalanche danger. Contact

local authorities in your area of interest for further

information.

NWAC Mountain Weather Forecasts and mountain weather data are

also available by visiting our Web site at www.nwac.noaa.gov.

Ferber/Forest Service Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center

NNNN

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That report is nothing but a far right-wing conspiracy ...

Maybe so. I notice it was a forecast for Wednesday January 7, and it was posted here on this board at 10:00 pm on the 7th, and the message from Fairweather was that it is going to be bad out there "for a while." With fluctuating freezing levels and additional rain and snow predicted for the next several days, I am sure conditions will change and this current avalanche warning may be removed while Fairweather goes out there and pulls the first ascent of the century behind our backs! That *&%$ must have paid off the staff at NWAC, and maybe the higher ups at NOAA as well as the owners of this site.

Seriously, a warning of extreme hazard on Wednesday, when heavy snow is falling over deep and uncosolidated light snow on top of an old crust, is not at all surprising. But these kinds of cycles tend to pass quickly around here. Watch ongoing forecasts before you conclude you have to stay home this weekend.

Anytime is a good time to dig a pit, and for the next few days the conditions are likely to be quite variable and with blustery weather and likely shifting winds, I wouldn't be surprised to see different structures in the upper-level snowpack from one slope to the next. While I'm not sure you are going to see a more interesting profile now than any other time, this is a time when I would be likely to dig pits and make some decisions based on what I found.

Cool! Thanks a lot. If I can find enough ambient light to make it worth my while, I'll dig one at Alpental tonight.

With any luck, I'm going to be on a press junket to do the Pro Guide Service Avy 1 class next weekend, and I really want to have this pit digging thing under my belt one time before the class. That and I maybe should learn how to put the skins on my skis. fruit.gif

Digging a pit during high avalanche conditions one should be extra careful because it totally sux to be standing in a pit and get hit by an avalanche as you can get buried extra deep and have even less chance to dodge or run.

If you just want to see layers you can always dig the pit in an area of relatively flat ground next to a parking lot or something though you should watch out for stuff like snowplowed snow or buried jibbing structures. Also if the ground is flat it is hard to get a Rutschblock to fail...

Figger Eight:

Your choice of words, "...doing it for shits and giggles," has me wondering if the only circumstances that would justify the risk of digging a pit other than, "high and in the trees," would be like a SAR mission for plane crash survivors, or maybe trying to save some other climbers who fell into a crevasse a had only hours to live before dying of dehydration and HAPE or HACE, (because their decadron supply has run out and the batteries in their radios are going dead) and you're like their only chance to live, so you go ahead and dig a pit on an avalanche prone slope in order to make sure that you don't get avalanched on while you're trying to get to them with your nitroglycerin. Is that what you meant to say?

Figger Eight:

Your choice of words, "...doing it for shits and giggles," has me wondering if the only circumstances that would justify the risk of digging a pit other than, "high and in the trees," would be like a SAR mission for plane crash survivors, or maybe trying to save some other climbers who fell into a crevasse and had only hours to live before dying of dehydration and HAPE or HACE, (because their decadron supply has run out and the batteries in their radios are going dead) and you're like their only chance to live, so you go ahead and dig a pit on an avalanche prone slope in order to make sure that you don't get avalanched on while you're trying to get to them with your nitroglycerin. Is that what you meant to say?

Edited by ChickenShiite911

ummmm...huh? confused.gif

Sometimes when I'm out screwing around I like to dig hasty pits just to see what kinds of layers are under there, that's all. If you're out skiing and you want to examine a slope you need to cross or you want to make tracks on, then you sometimes have to poke around on an avy prone slope.

All I'm saying is if yer digging a pit just to dig a pit, you don't need to go to avy slopes to do it. You'll be able to see different layers of snow in the trees or on tops of ridges just the same.